Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Discussion regarding the development of CEGUI itself - as opposed to questions about CEGUI usage that should be in the help forums.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Dec 11, 2004 23:36

After some discussion and testing, it has become apparent that the bluriness and twinkling from texture filtering and mis-aligned texel to pixel mappings is a much bigger issue than I originally thought it to be. As such, resolving this issue has been moved from somewhere near the bottom of the TODO list, to the very top.

Yesterday I was playing around with a few hacks, and this evening I cleaned these up a little more. I have posted a version of demo 7 than runs with these fixes in place. I suggest that you compare this version of the demo with the 'normal' version available from the downloads area; especially at lower resolutions like 800x600.

Feedback is requested on the difference between the two versions, and any problems that you see.

Link removed. Fix is now in place :)

CE.

Slicky
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Postby Slicky » Sun Dec 12, 2004 05:02

I have checked out both versions. I would say this is a major improvement. I detected no problems on the new version. The old version would flicker and even when not moving the text could be blurred or less bright. Dragging items it still remains clear and flicker free in the new build.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:36

I've added a poll to the thread...

guyver6
Just popping in
Just popping in

Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Postby guyver6 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 15:42

You may guess whos vote is this first one :wink:

Great you're taking care of that misalignment.

Guyver

EDIT: IT LOOKS AMAZING NOW! OMG, I love CEGUI

ArmaDuck
Just popping in
Just popping in

Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Postby ArmaDuck » Sun Dec 12, 2004 19:44

The 'fixed' demo looks nice and sharp. But it I see some weird 'floating' or shifting on some of the widgets and text when I move a window. But it's still a great improvement!

nfz
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Postby nfz » Sun Dec 12, 2004 23:33

I agree too that its a big improvement. In Ogre OpenGL mode there is almost no noticeable twinkling or shimmering. In Ogre Dx9 mode there is still a slight shimmering of lines and shifting of text but overall its an improvement.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Dec 13, 2004 09:26

Okay guys, thanks for the input.

I know what causes the floating/shifting of certain parts. I'll fix this as well, though it means adding code to some of the rendering methods in the widgets (which I really wanted to avoid, though this is not possible if I want perfection ;) )

If everything goes okay, all the fixes will be committed together some time on (or around) Wednesday of this week.

CE.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Blurry / Twinkling CEGUI

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:25

The changes for this fix are now in CVS (actually did this Monday evening). Most of the issues are resolved, if you spot any I may have missed let me know.

For info: The fix has been implemented via a preprocessor macro. This enables the method used to implement the fix to be changed easilty if this is required. I have also added an option in CEGUIConfig.h that allows the fix to be disabled if anybody wants to go back to the old way things were done.

CE.

Return to “CEGUI Library Development Discussion”