Layout containers overhaul for 0.8

Discussion regarding the development of CEGUI itself - as opposed to questions about CEGUI usage that should be in the help forums.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Layout containers overhaul for 0.8

Postby Kulik » Tue Dec 28, 2010 23:13

I want to redo layout containers (LCs) a lot for 0.8, basically allowing one completely different "Qt-like" behaviour. Right now LCs don't influence their child windows sizes and they change their size so that their contents fit. This is fine for some uses but doesn't suit all. There were people calling for more powerful LCs.

So first thing required is deciding what is needed and what is over the top. CEGUI is for in game GUIs, there is no need to try to replicate everything in Qt, Gtk and the like.

One neat feature would be the ability to resize LCs and their children would react accordingly. This will allow rapid layout development assuring that people don't have to hand arrange forms and related stuff. I still haven't decided if this should be the default behaviour or if I should make the current behaviour default. The current one is tailored more for procedural UI creation whilst the planned one is mainly for layout prototyping and editing.

The thing that I definitely want to redo is the Grid Layout Container (for more speed - this will allow MCL to be reimplemented with window based cells - and flexibility like row span and col span, rearranging columns and rows easily, etc... it will be a lot of work).

Any other ideas? If I break the API I want to break it just right :)

Return to “CEGUI Library Development Discussion”