DirectFB Renderer Direction

Discussion regarding the development of CEGUI itself - as opposed to questions about CEGUI usage that should be in the help forums.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

xtitus
Just popping in
Just popping in

DirectFB Renderer Direction

Postby xtitus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 17:53

I was curious on the direction of support for the DirectFB renderer. The wiki says it's experimental, and mantis has had the item assigned for a long time (number 0000297). I ask as I really like using CEGUI personally in my game development with Ogre3D, but I want to use it commercially at work. In my commercial application, it's an embedded Linux application where I currently have a custom written GUI layer sitting on top of DirectFB (we don't want to use X11 as it's too heavyweight). I think switching to CEGUI would be more feature rich and stable, but wanted your take on how "experimental" it is today, what it would take to make it stable, and if you have any plans to do so, when would that be? Thanks for any insight on this as I love CEGUI and would like to see it expand to other uses!

[EDIT] I'm open to using another renderer if possible... If I have OpenGL ES 2.0, could there be another way? Like with SDL and OpenGL?

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: DirectFB Renderer Direction

Postby Kulik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 17:30

OpenGL renderers are definitely more mature and stable than DirectFB. If you can get OpenGL (ES) context up on the device you can use these.

DirectFB has issues. The reason why we don't work on it as much is mostly lack of enthusiasm about DirectFB from the community. There is a ticket to have it fixed for CEGUI 1.0 release.

Return to “CEGUI Library Development Discussion”