Video Tutorials

Official announcements from the CEGUI project.

Moderator: CEGUI Team

Do you think video tutorials would be a good thing?

Yes: Video only tutorials are the way to go.
28%
Yes: Text tutorials with supporting video elements.
58%
No: Video tutorials are overrated.
13%
You suck, so who cares!
1%

Total votes: 69

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Video Tutorials

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 08:46

This is something I'd been thinking about a little bit, and after briefly hijacking another thread with some discussion, I am creating this thread to keep that discussion in one easy to find place (thanks maori). Additionally, I'm posting this globally since I want the topic to get as much exposure as possible.

Anyway the basic idea is that for certain things, it's easier to demonstrate techniques and operations visually than what it is to describe them in text alone. One thing that's already been mentioned was a tutorial on the basics of the CELayoutEditor, we might therefore also assume one for CEImagesetEditor would also be appropriate. So, what other types of tutorial would benefit from having a video element?

I need to be very clear that unless there is some clear enthusiasm with regards to this idea, it will almost certainly not happen. So please take a couple of minutes to vote and give your opinion one way or another, and also to discuss any issues related to this idea. I have set the poll to enable people to change their vote; this way if some discussion changes your mind, you can reflect that in the poll.

CE

maori
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Re: Video Tutorials

Postby maori » Fri Jul 10, 2009 09:18

vote added :)
trying to upgrade to 0.8.2 from 0.7.9 :D

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 16:57

My opinion on the best approach would be text(wiki)+clips. Now when I say 'text' I don't necessarily mean a direct translation of what the video clip is showing, it may be something as simple as a clip title, additional notes about the feature, etc. though it could just as well be a list of steps / instructions on using the feature. It really just depends on the individual feature.

Pro text+clips
  • If each clip only demonstrates a single feature, only one clip has to be updated when that feature changes.
  • Individual clips makes it easier and quicker to reference specific features
  • Individual clips can still be composed into a single video if the demand is there.
  • Not all features need a video demonstration (and not all videos need text instruction)
  • Ease of adding notes/nuances to features without having the need to re-create the video
  • Easier for users to contribute via text (or even short clips) submission/edits
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 07:12

Yeah, I certainly see the benefits of the text + video approach.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 09:17

Again, I have to ask that people participate in this thread an poll. Five votes (after >70 views) is not going to get any video / text + video tutorials made. If you're not interested in video tutorials, then please vote 'no' so we can get a better feel for what people want. As mentioned on the skin editor thread, if you guys don't engage in these types of thread, you can't then later go off and moan about the lack of tutorials or tools, because what happens in these regards will be influenced directly by these threads.

CE.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Wed Jul 22, 2009 17:40

It seems there is very little interest in this. I for one found it easy to figure out the tools, aside from a couple of nuances that would have been helpful to know up front. Mainly because the tools are relativly simple. That being said, a set of tutorials like this could still be useful in terms of marketing - I'm sure there is a direct correlation between the number of users who try a library and the perception of how easy the library is to get started with, which the videos would undoubtly demonstrate.
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 19:46

Yeah, those first few steps people take with a lib are very important, especially some of the more... 'delicate' people that pass by these parts on occasion.

Trying to get people to participate in these threads and polls seems like mission impossible sometimes. Take the thread about dropping VC++ 7.1 support (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3771) 1500 views and 10 votes. Super! :lol:

CE.

maori
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby maori » Sat Jul 25, 2009 19:29

'delicate' people

hehe thats me :hammer: :pint:
trying to upgrade to 0.8.2 from 0.7.9 :D

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 09:36

maori wrote:
'delicate' people

hehe thats me :hammer: :pint:

:lol: I actually had other people in mind when I wrote that. I could go off on one of my legendary rants at this point, about those people that I did have in mind, but will save the project that embarrassment - at least for the time being :)

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:18

Hi,

I voted "Yes: Text tutorials with supporting video elements." as i think a complete tutorial as a video is very bad, especially if you explain source code or XML!

Still, some video parts are good as a HUGE amount of people are reluctant to read big texts ...

earthsruler
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby earthsruler » Mon Aug 31, 2009 06:09

the reason i think video tutorials would be bad is because you would only be able to search by title, which would also make it less likely you could find what you were after via search engines etc.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Mon Aug 31, 2009 07:13

I choose 'no', not because they are overrated, but hard to maintain. It's already difficult to keep wiki pages up-to-date (pointing at myself here), and it's probably even harder to achieve this with video's. I am affreight that video tutorials is something which will start with lots of enthausiasm, but quickly dry up. Of course, tutorials are basically about the core usage, so probably less likely to change often. But still, with major improvements (such as 0.6 -> 0.7) you're pretty much screwed.

Sorry ;)
Check out my released snake game using Cegui!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:27

All good points guys - please keep them coming :) I've not made any concrete decision yet, though I guess I'll say a few things now both for and against.

I do think scriptkid's point about maintainability is an extremely important and powerful point; especially so, coming off the back of a couple of weeks writing any updating documentation and text tutorials for the coming 0.7.0 release. I have to say it's been a real grind :)

I think the main positive point is the kind of 'user-friendliness' or accessibility you get from a video (of any type) as opposed to three or four screens worth of text. What I mean by this is that most people would sit there for five minutes and watch a demonstration video, but may not spend the same amount of time reading a text based tutorial.

It's a really hard thing to decide one way or the other. If I was not the guy who had to make and maintain the videos, obviously I'd just have voted 'yes' already; since I am that guy, I'm more reluctant to commit myself :mrgreen:

CE.

Nimos
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Nimos » Wed Oct 21, 2009 09:36

I voted for video with text. Using the video as a teaser and the text as the manual on how to achieve the effect demonstrated in the video.

kewur
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby kewur » Sat Oct 24, 2009 01:21

well, learning a new library is a though task for begginers. Video tutorials wouldnt be that satisfactory for an advanced developer. But a developer just got into it may find it rather "comforting" since there is some guy actually talking to you in the video. they may be less scared of the library coz they would have a one on one lesson and its true that while making a video tutorial many little details could be told in just seconds..

Ofcourse there are setbacks like maintanency or searching, i think 4 or 5 video tutorials would be great for CEGUI.

Im not saying its an easy task, its a hard and long job but i think it would be nice.. :wink:

Return to “Official Announcements, Works in Progress, and Future Directions”