CEGUI code moves to mercurial.

Official announcements from the CEGUI project.

Moderator: CEGUI Team

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

CEGUI code moves to mercurial.

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05

This message is to announce that the CEGUI project has migrated from subversion (SVN) to mercurial (hg).

It had been suggested a few times that we might perhaps consider moving from the centralised arrangement of subversion to one of the distributed source management systems. Originally I'd been against this, mostly for reasons related to the effort of actually making the change.

However, there is no denying that subversion is not friendly in certain areas - especially (but not only) if people / teams have local changes which they need to manage. On top of this, we would also like to encourage more participation from you guys as far as contributed code goes. It has been decided that one way to alleviate much of the pain in these - and other - areas is to move to a distributed system.

While there could have been much discussion about which system we should migrate to, at the end of the day, all the popular choices are roughly equivalent in functionality and it essentially boils down to personal preference. For me this was mercurial, mainly because I already had some familiarity with it ;)

I additionally spent quite a few hours considering the options as regards to what code would be migrated, and ultimately I decided to transition all code to mercurial. There are two main reasons for this; firstly it makes things easier for me from a project management point of view, and secondly, there is quite a lot of history in the code which I really wanted to retain.

It is our intention to eventually 'switch off' the existing subversion access (timescale would be three to six months). With the migration - including full code history - completed, there is no advantage to keeping the svn repositiory around - especially since no more code changes will be committed to subversion.

For people new to mercurial, I can recommend the book "Mercurial: The Definitive Guide". This is available via the usual outlets, and is also available free, online: http://hgbook.red-bean.com/

The repositories currently available can be seen here: http://crayzedsgui.hg.sourceforge.net/h ... ayzedsgui/

As an extremely quick and dirty intro to mercurial, here are a couple of commands to get you started :)

To get a local copy of the entire cegui_mk2 repository (once you have this you can easily jump between the various branches):

Code: Select all

hg clone http://crayzedsgui.hg.sourceforge.net/hgroot/crayzedsgui/cegui_mk2

This gives you a copy which has the current default (trunk) code. It's highly likely (and recommended!) that you will want to move to the stable branch code from here, currently that is the v0-7 branch (note that the -C option will discard any local changes you have made):

hg update -C v0-7

To update to the latest published code (this updates from the repo you originally cloned, you could also update from some other location if you wanted to):

hg pull -u

For MS Windows users, there is TortoiseHg: http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/ this should be reasonably similar / familiar to anyone who used TortoiseSVN :)

CE.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: CEGUI code moves to mercurial.

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun May 22, 2011 10:40

It is our intention to eventually 'switch off' the existing subversion access (timescale would be three to six months). With the migration - including full code history - completed, there is no advantage to keeping the svn repositiory around - especially since no more code changes will be committed to subversion.

For Info: as per the above, subversion access was shut off yesterday evening.

CE.

Return to “Official Announcements, Works in Progress, and Future Directions”