CEImagesetEditor - Now official tool!

Use this forum for:
- Discussion regarding unofficial CEGUI related tools, scripts and utilities.
- User to user help for the obsoleted CELayoutEditor and CEImagesetEditor tools.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

CEImagesetEditor - Now official tool!

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 09:51

Earlier in the year martignasse started work on an Imageset editing tool - CEImagesetEditor. Unfortunately development on that ceased after a while, and the project was left undeveloped, unmaintained, and generally in limbo.

During recent discussions amongst the CEGUI developers, it was decided to revive this project, make it official, and proceed with development ourselves. I am the new maintainer and code lead for CEImagesetEditor ;)

So far, not much in the way of new functionality has been added; it's mainly been a case of doing some clean-up work on the original code and getting things updated to work with the latest CEGUI base library (so don't blame me for too many failings at this early stage :P ). This initial work has now been completed, and the CEImagesetEditor code is available in SVN at the following URL:
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crayzedsgui/CEImagesetEditor/

As of this writing, there only exists the required build support for autotools (GNU/Linux and adventurous Mac users). Lindquist should have support for premake VC++ project generation added fairly soon.

I have a list of things that I already intend to add to the editor, and will be making that public at some stage over the next few days - so please hold off on your feature requests until then, since it's likely that some of the 'obvious' features are already on my list.

Discussion is obviously welcome, as are bug reports, feature requests, etc. - these should be submitted on mantis where there is a separate CEImagesetEditor project for this purpose.

Anyhow, that's the status of things at the moment...

CE.

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby lindquist » Tue Aug 08, 2006 08:20

A premake script has been committed to the SVN repository.
This means that Visual C++ users can generate a solution for this great app with little effort :)
It is setup to link against a static build of wxWidgets (the default configurations in MSVC) version 2.6.3, you will most likely need to edit it a little.

In the top of the script are two variables, CEGUI_DIR and WX_DIR.
Make sure these paths point to the root of your cegui/wx installations (just follow what is there already).

Hope it works for all of you out there, otherwise let us know.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:50

For your testing and debugging pleasure, I present an 'alpha 1' windows binary of the CEImagesetEditor.

Note that this is an ALPHA release - while it seems to work ok here without causing formatting of the C: drive, YMMV. If you do not know what this means, then go away and wait for a stable release ;)

The editor contains the beginnings of a resource group editor - at the moment, you basically want to be defining a group in here that points to the directory which makes the paths in the imageset 'correct', and setting that group as the default. What this means is, for example, to load the imagesets from the Samples in CEGUI 0.5.0 RC2, create a group and set the group directory to "C:/cegui_mk2/Samples/datafiles/imagesets/", then make the group the default. You can then load and save the imagesets from that samples directory and it should keep the relative paths correct.

Anyway, see how you get on with it; all discussion in here, and bugs to CEImagesetEditor on mantis.

Download here: CEImagesetEditor-0.1.0-alpha1.zip

CE.

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:10

well, i'm comme back to see that you make good job with my little utility.

and it's seem's to be just a beginning (framework and Co).

congrats

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 18:53

Thanks for the support, and thanks for providing a good basis for us to jump off from :)

Pretty soon I'm hoping to get some more work done on the editor and get some kind of official release out.

And, yeah, the "MAD" framework will be super-cool once that's off the ground :D

CE.

drumicube
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby drumicube » Sat Nov 11, 2006 23:35

Hi !
I have another little contribution, and this time it's for the CEImagesetEditor:
As there's too much code involve in it for a post in this forum, I have choosen to release a patch...
Little problem, it was the first time I created one... Nobody is perfect...
So It would be nice if someone could test it, and told me if I'm really a newbie at using patching under TortoiseSVN... :D

About the patch itself:
  • Same as the LayoutEditor, the SillyCodec is used by default (unlike me, don't forget to put the 2 silly dlls in your executable folder)
  • The InitFile framework from the LayoutEditor is added to CEImageSetEditor, and cleaned from any LayoutEditor specific content.
    It also creates and manages a CEImagesetEditor.ini file
  • The background color is saved and loaded from the ini file.
  • The DialogResourceGroup content is saved and loaded from the ini file.

To sum up, it's the full config system from the LayoutEditor which is added here, and ready to be customized further...

I Hope this will help.
Cheers.

http://yoyo2k1.free.fr/cegui/CEImageset ... file.patch

Binaries for Windows: (Based on the latest svn code)
http://yoyo2k1.free.fr/cegui/CEImageset ... i_file.zip

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Sun Nov 12, 2006 21:25

Awesome tool! And it works right out of the tin! :)

Thank you for your great work Martignasse and CrazyEddie! :hammer:

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:05

Thanks a lot for the really useful patch - I'll test it out and get it committed in SVN for the editor real soon :D

CE.

drumicube
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby drumicube » Mon Nov 13, 2006 22:29

Thanks for checking the patch CrazyEddie !
On my side, I have not finished with this editor, and I'm trying to add one big feature right now...

I have noticed the editor wasn't updated since end of August:
I supposed this is because you're all very busy with 0.5 release, but now it's done.
So, I'm really wondering if it wouldn't be better for me to know if someone is working on it right now !
It's not I don't like working on this, it's simply to avoid me doing again what is already done !

Thanks for keeping me inform.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:35

I am the main dev on that sub-project; the rest of the guys are pretty much sworn to leave it alone :lol: So, at this instant nobody is actively working on the editor (meaning none of us have half-implemented suff we're working on), though that's not to imply in any way that we're 'done' with it ;)

What's the big feature? :)

Feel free to submit any and all patches at http://mantis.cegui.org.uk/ (and select the CEImagesetEditor project).

I'll try to remember to update here when I decide to pick up work on the Editor again :)

CE.

drumicube
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby drumicube » Fri Nov 17, 2006 20:34

Concerning the big feature I would like to add in the ImageSetEditor:
I don't know for you, but one thing that really annoy me with this tool is that you have to work in two steps:
  • You edit and save the ImageSet you're working on.
  • Then, you load a test layout to check if the previous modifications are ok...

So it's always back and force, you have to switch from one tool to another, most of the time it's just for tuning a cell pixel by pixel...
A cool feature would be to have a test layout using the ImageSet you're working on displayed into the editor, and even better:
It would be really nice if this layout could be updated on the fly regarding the changes you're making in the ImageSet...

To be honest with you, I don't even know if this kind of thing is possible...
My skills on WxWidgets and CEGUI are really poor, but I'm new to this, and I'm learning fast !

So far here is what I have:

The test layout is working but is not updated on the fly yet...
Not surprising, as the ImageSet used by the layout is not the same object as the one opened on the left...
I need more trials and errors on the editor code, to know if this is even possible !

If I can't achieve this, it's not totally lost:
As an alternate solution, I still can put a refresh button for the test layout... ;)
Of course, opinions and advices are really welcome on this !

Taharez
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Taharez » Fri Nov 17, 2006 20:43

Sounds awesome! I'm trying to get v2.0 of my skin working, and such an integrated tool would certainly be useful. I'm doing just as you described, editing, saving, switching, updating, etc.

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Tue Nov 21, 2006 08:01

hello,

look like a great addition.

if you need help, maybe i can, just ask.

good to see the image editor evolving :D

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 09:31

Hey guys,

I also agree that would be a cool feature.

At the moment there are a couple of "blocking issues" which will prevent a 'live update' of an existing image within an Imageset. The original reasons behind that decision being made are largely gone from the system now, so I think it should be possible to extend the Imageset interface to allow for such modifications (this would then also require some changes in the editor so that it does affect an defined imageset rather than a local copy of the data).

I'm not really around for a couple of days, though will hopefully be able to push such changes through this coming weekend (after which I intend to break until the new year - so fingers crossed!).

CE.

drumicube
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby drumicube » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:28

I'm currently working a lot on this editor, and I expect to release sources and windows binaries next week:

My primary goal for this coming release is to achieve a fully functionnal Layout panel embedded inside the editor, as seen in my previous screenshoot...
This layout, won't be updated on the fly. In a first time, I will simply put a refresh button.
Right now, It's working, but I still have some problems with events which are not always correctly dispatched... Nothing serious, I'm on it, and it's improving almost every day...
Just need time to get more at ease with wxwidgets and CEGUI...

I have also fixed the cursor:
the cross was missing on windows, and a CEGUI cursor is used in the Layout instead of the wxWidgets one.

One little question regarding the DefaultGroup dialog:
Untill now in this dialog we have a general Defaultgroup which usually point to the ImageSet.
But now, as we also load a full CEGUI Layout, we require something like this:

Code: Select all

CEGUI::Imageset::setDefaultResourceGroup("imagesets");
        CEGUI::Font::setDefaultResourceGroup("fonts");
        CEGUI::Scheme::setDefaultResourceGroup("schemes");
        CEGUI::WidgetLookManager::setDefaultResourceGroup("looknfeels");
        CEGUI::WindowManager::setDefaultResourceGroup("layouts");

So do you advice me to update the Group dialog to handle those 5 default groups instead of only a general one?
Thanks.

Return to “Unofficial CEGUI-Related Tools”