how to create a skin ?[SOLVED]

Help and discussion regarding skinning, themes, and other artistic content.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Ninja
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

how to create a skin ?[SOLVED]

Postby Ninja » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:46

Hi Guys

looked around a little but couldnt find out how to make a skin i made a tga file but when i set the x,y co-ords for it in the .imageset file it has a box round it so i guess i missed a step :oops:

could some kind soul give me a quick tutorial on how to created the tga file please

i'am guessing alpha or something but unsure on how to use this and save the file if that makes sense

TIA
Last edited by Ninja on Wed Apr 02, 2008 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:16

Ninja
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ninja » Tue Apr 01, 2008 13:10

Hi pompei2

i looked though those and thought i was on a winner with
http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Creating_Skins

unfortunatly it didnt explain how to do the tga files as i said i created one but for example the mouse arrow just shows as a box with the mouse arrow inside of it.

and i'am unsure where i went wrong or what steps i need to take to avoid this i'am sure its something to do with the tga file but excatlly what i'am lost

TIA

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:55

As you suspect the issue of non-transparency is related to the image alpha channel. How you create / save this totally depends on the image editing application you're using - so for that I have to say RTFM ;)

Typically there is some option / toolbox / dialog to allow you to view or hide the image channels - Red Green, Blue, and Alpha. Alternatively, you could be able to make a selection or a mask or such like, and there may be an option to save the that to the alpha channel.

Let us know which tool you have and somebody will have the answers, I'm sure.

CE.

Ninja
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ninja » Tue Apr 01, 2008 21:47

heya CrazyEddie

sorry should have relized i use Photoshop i do have an alpha channel in the psd file but just cant work out how to save the tga so the transpancy is working

TIA

prager
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby prager » Tue Apr 01, 2008 22:07

Well, the problem is, that new versions of Photoshop cannot save the Targa files with alpha channel at all... Have no idea why, it used to be supported at least up to version 7, but not anymore... Why don't you use a PNG? Targa is quite an old file format not much used anymore anyway...

Ninja
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ninja » Wed Apr 02, 2008 08:41

hiya

ok must be me doing something wrong again :oops:

using photoshop 10

how do i do this tried saving my psd as png both ways interlaced and non interlaced but i still get the no transpacy effect

TIA

Ninja
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ninja » Wed Apr 02, 2008 08:53

Dohhh Dohhhh Dohhhhh

someone hit me with a clue Bat

worked it out i got fixated on the alpha channel when all i needed to do was have a transparent background for the png file :oops:

all working now thanks for the help

Return to “Skins and Themes”