[Solved] Cannot Set Titlebar Font via Looknfeel?

Help and discussion regarding skinning, themes, and other artistic content.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

mithryanna
Just popping in
Just popping in

[Solved] Cannot Set Titlebar Font via Looknfeel?

Postby mithryanna » Tue Nov 02, 2010 15:16

This is an interesting problem that may be a bug. I want to change the font used for my titlebars, so instead of having to change it on every layout or programmatically on every framewindow widget, I figured the best place to handle this would be in the looknfeel. Except that I've tried several different ways to set the font with no success. I am 100% sure the font I am trying to use is loaded, as I have successfully used this font elsewhere in our gui. I've even set the font property successfully elsewhere, just not on my titlebars!

Tried setting Font property in the Titlebar widget:

Code: Select all

<WidgetLook name="Immersive_Border/Titlebar">
      <PropertyDefinition name="CaptionColour" initialValue="FF000000" redrawOnWrite="true" />
      <Property name="NonClient" value="True" />
      <Property name="Font" value="MyriadPro-9" />

Tried setting Font property within the child of our FrameWindow widget:

<Child type="Immersive_Border/Titlebar" nameSuffix="__auto_titlebar__">
        <Area>
         <Dim type="LeftEdge">
           <AbsoluteDim value="0" />
         </Dim>
         <Dim type="TopEdge">
           <AbsoluteDim value="0" />
         </Dim>
         <Dim type="RightEdge">
           <UnifiedDim scale="1" type="RightEdge" />
         </Dim>
         <Dim type="Height">
           <FontDim widget="__auto_titlebar__" type="LineSpacing">
            <DimOperator op="Multiply">
              <AbsoluteDim value="1.5" />
            </DimOperator>
           </FontDim>
         </Dim>
        </Area>
                  <Property name="Font" value="MyriadPro-9" />
        <Property name="AlwaysOnTop" value="False" />
      </Child>

Tried setting the TitlebarFont property in the FrameWindow widget:

<PropertyLinkDefinition name="CaptionColour" widget="__auto_titlebar__" targetProperty="CaptionColour" initialValue="FF000000" />
      <PropertyLinkDefinition name="TitlebarFont" widget="__auto_titlebar__" targetProperty="Font" />
      <Property name="Text" value="Toolbox" />
                <Property name="TitlebarFont" value="MyriadPro-9" />

I even tried using the property tag in a way I'm not sure is correct to set the font property on the __auto_titlebar__ child widget:

<PropertyLinkDefinition name="CaptionColour" widget="__auto_titlebar__" targetProperty="CaptionColour" initialValue="FF000000" />
      <PropertyLinkDefinition name="TitlebarFont" widget="__auto_titlebar__" targetProperty="Font" />
      <Property name="Text" value="Toolbox" />
      <Property name="Font" widget="__auto_titlebar__" value="MyriadPro-9" />

Finally, my CEGUI log is mostly fine. There are a few errors that have to do with an outdated layout we use briefly at the beginning of the program for a login screen (so not relevant), as well as some object exception errors I need to take a look at, but again they shouldn't have anything to do with the titlebar.

02/11/2010 11:00:51 (Std)    ---- Version 0.7.2 (Build: Aug 28 2010 Debug Microsoft Windows MSVC++ 8.0 32 bit) ----
02/11/2010 11:00:51 (Std)    ---- Renderer module is: CEGUI::OpenGLRenderer - Official OpenGL based 2nd generation renderer module.  TextureTarget support enabled via FBO extension. ----
02/11/2010 11:00:51 (Std)    ---- XML Parser module is: CEGUI::ExpatParser - Official expat based parser module for CEGUI ----
02/11/2010 11:00:51 (Std)    ---- Image Codec module is: SILLYImageCodec - Official SILLY based image codec ----
02/11/2010 11:00:51 (Std)    ---- Scripting module is: None ----

02/11/2010 11:01:13 (Error)   CEGUI::UnknownObjectException in file c:\cegui-0.7.2-vc8\cegui\src\ceguiwindowmanager.cpp(256) : WindowManager::getWindow - A Window object with the name 'ToolboxWindow__auto_closebutton__' does not exist within the system
02/11/2010 11:01:13 (Error)   CEGUI::UnknownObjectException in file c:\cegui-0.7.2-vc8\cegui\src\ceguiwindowmanager.cpp(256) : WindowManager::getWindow - A Window object with the name 'ToolboxWindow__auto_polygoncreation_btn__' does not exist within the system
02/11/2010 11:01:13 (Std)    ---- Successfully completed loading of GUI layout from 'Immersive_ToolboxWindow.layout' ----

In all of these cases my font property was ignored entirely and the font is the same big, ugly default font it was before... I am not getting any error messages printed to my console, and the windows are popping up fine, so the XML is parsed alright.

Is this a bug or am I failing to put the tag in the right spot?
Last edited by mithryanna on Thu Nov 04, 2010 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: Cannot Set Titlebar Font via Looknfeel?

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:30

I think any of these solutions should work - except maybe the last one which is - as you suspected - not actually valid.

Since we have this PropertyLinkDefinition set up the same way in FrameWindow for TaharezLook I ran a couple of tests there and it all worked as expected - so I'm not quite sure what to suggest. The only difference I see is that you're on 0.7.2 and I'm on 0.7.4, but for this particular feature I don't think that is significant.

Could you test TaharezLook (either in your app or via one of the samples) and confirm you can get this working correctly there?

CE.

mithryanna
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby mithryanna » Thu Nov 04, 2010 14:40

I tested a TaharezLook FrameWindow in our app and the looknfeel successfully changed the titlebar font.

For the test I did the following:

Modified TaharezLook looknfeel; changed text property in addition to the titlebarfont so I could tell if the looknfeel was being recognized even if the titlebarfont property was ignored.

<Property name="Text" value="Titlebar Font Test" />
<Property name="TitlebarFont" value="MyriadPro-9" />

I successfully spawned a TaharezLook/FrameWindow with titlebar text set to Titlebar Font Test and font set to MyriadPro-9. So no CEGUI bug. Unfortunately I still have to track down why the same code isn't setting the titlebar font in our custom looknfeel...

mithryanna
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby mithryanna » Thu Nov 04, 2010 14:49

Case closed. You're gonna laugh at this one; I know I am. :hammer: Turns out the .layout files automatically generated in the layout editor that we were using for our windows were setting the titlebar font, so anytime I set the titlebarfont property in the looknfeel it didn't matter since it was getting overridden by the layout!

Return to “Skins and Themes”