[newbie] Customizing a skin

Help and discussion regarding skinning, themes, and other artistic content.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

PdG
Just popping in
Just popping in

[newbie] Customizing a skin

Postby PdG » Mon Aug 22, 2011 13:12

Hi to all. This is my first message here.
I'm trying to write a my own space game using ogre, and i'm using CEGUI for the gui, because it seems very simple to use it.
Now i'm in a lazy period and i don't have so much inspiration to write c++ code, so i want to try to use this days to create a more appropriate look'n'feel for my game. I'm using the Taharez but is time to use something of more personal.
I've tried to read something on the wiki but i'm lost, so i've tried to take the TaharezLook.tga with PaintShopPro and repaint over it. But it doesn't works: it looks like that there are somewere also the "mask" of every component (i.e. the pointer), so i can change the pixel inside the old pointer, but i cannot change the "shape" of the pointer.

So what is the right (and easy i hope) way to customize a look'n'feel? I don't need some esoteric features.. i need only to change a bit the Taharez graphics.

Thank you and sorry for the faq.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Re: [newbie] Customizing a skin

Postby Jamarr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 19:09

Please post in the appropriate sub-forum next time. Thank you.

it looks like that there are somewere also the "mask" of every component (i.e. the pointer), so i can change the pixel inside the old pointer, but i cannot change the "shape" of the pointer.

In regards to this issue, the area for sub-images are defined in the .imageset files; in this case TaharezLook.imageset. You can edit these either manually via a text-editor, with the unsupported CEImagesetEditor, or with Kulik's new CEED editor.

In any case, the .imageset files define the left, top, width, and height of each individual sub-image within the image. If you need to expand the area of the sub-image, then you will need to update the .imageset file as well. If you are maintaining the size, and only changing the shape, you should use alpha-transparency to create the shape / mask the unneeded pixels.
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

radical-dev
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: [newbie] Customizing a skin

Postby radical-dev » Wed Aug 24, 2011 08:20

Hi PdG!

Surely u can change the shape of the pointer, but u have to change the alpha mask. Here's a tutorial about alpha masks in PSP, there should be some more on the net (Google is your best friend :D): http://www.axialis.com/tutorials/tutorial-misc002.html

Best regards

radical-dev

Return to “Skins and Themes”