Glossy Serpent Skin / Theme for CEGUI 0.7

Help and discussion regarding skinning, themes, and other artistic content.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

dezGusty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Glossy Serpent Skin / Theme for CEGUI 0.7

Postby dezGusty » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:27

Hi guys,

I want to share with the community the CEGUI theme I have been working on... and will continue working on every once in a while.
The theme is named Glossy Serpent and is planned on being a bit dark and combining the look with a glossy aspect.

The theme is MIT licensed, located here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/glossyserpent
Screenshots :) :

Supported basic widgets/windows (almost all being started from a near TaharezLook equivalent):
    - Button32: wide button (optimized for (64+)x32 pixels size)
    - Button: (simple)
    - Checkbox
    - Editbox
    - StaticImage
    - SimplePanel (this is basically a framewindow without a title or resize support).
    - SimpleTransparentPanel (same as the previous item, but with a semitransparent interior)
    - StaticText
    - scrollbars (VerticalScrollbar, HorizontalScrollbar) and thumbs (VerticalScrollbarThumb, HorizontalScrollbarThumb)
    - ImageButton
    - Combobox (ComboDropList, ComboEditbox, Combobox)
    - Spinner
    - Tooltip
    - TabControl (with TabButton, TabContentPane, TabButtonPane
    - SystemButton
    - FrameWindow (with Titlebar)
    - ProgressBar
    - RadioButton
    - GroupBox
    - MultiColumnList
    - Listbox
    - ItemListbox

(edited screenshots)
Last edited by dezGusty on Wed Dec 26, 2012 22:38, edited 3 times in total.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: Glossy Serpent Theme for CEGUI 0.7

Postby Ident » Sun Feb 26, 2012 20:03

Looks cool. Only wish i would have for it, is for the border lines not to change their contrasts as much. If the periodical darkening of the borders was more subtle, it would be visually perfect to me
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 20:03

Hi,

Thanks for posting your theme / skin for CEGUI. I think it's looking pretty cool - and I look forward to other stuff you might produce in the future :D

CE.

dezGusty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby dezGusty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 06:14

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

@Ident: is this an overall feel of the border lines, or is it restricted to some controls?
I'm thinking of adding some variants to the theme (lower contrast, lower glossiness) and I'm gathering input :)

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Feb 27, 2012 14:24

It is an overall feelalong almost all borders. The problem is that the brightness changes are so big, the borders often get as dark as the background, and this is irritating. However i love this change in contrast because it really gives the GUI a worn out, dark-ish style, so please keep it, just make it more subtle.

Also one really small thing bothered me immediately: the checkbox on the top border line has a dark spot a bit on the left from the middle which i find very confusing, as it almost looks like a gap.

Aside from this i love the skin

dezGusty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: Glossy Serpent Skin / Theme for CEGUI 0.7

Postby dezGusty » Sun Mar 04, 2012 20:34

New version releases (0.2). The top post was updated with the newest info.

The theme uses a bit less contrast and a bit more color at the moment, so it's not as dark. As soon as all remaining items are added and some clean-up will take place, a proper darker variant will be added :)

Feedback is welcomed.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Mar 04, 2012 23:52

looks better. But i still find the borders should have less brightness changes along them. But maybe thats just me :wink:

dezGusty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby dezGusty » Mon Mar 05, 2012 08:45

The window frame is the only border that did not receive a lower contrast. Maybe it has a strong influence on the overall feel. However, i don't want to reduce the contrast in the border colors for the other borders any further, as I feel they would become too hard to notice.
But I'm glad you think it's a step in the right direction. :)

What's your take on the usage of lighter colors and the "not so dark" feel as the 1st iteration?

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Mar 05, 2012 13:40

dezGusty wrote:What's your take on the usage of lighter colors and the "not so dark" feel as the 1st iteration?

I don't understand the question. Are you asking what i like about the changes from the first version u showed us? Would be nice to have old and new screenshots side-by-side

dezGusty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby dezGusty » Tue Mar 06, 2012 13:38

I was just asking if you noticed any differences in the used colors. If you didn't, it means I did not change the "feel" of the theme and that is good enough for me.

Playerdark
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Playerdark » Wed Mar 07, 2012 09:03

Looks very good. I'm new to layouts though, tried to copy all into the respective directories and then got some errors when opening the CEGUI editor which I use for layouts. Is it not compatible with the skin? Or is there more to installing it than just copying it over?

dezGusty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby dezGusty » Wed Mar 07, 2012 19:14

Playerdark: hmm... not sure. I haven't used the layout editor with it. I simply edited everything in XML directly so far. I'll have a look over it (around the weekend) and give you some info after that.

Playerdark
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Playerdark » Thu Mar 08, 2012 07:01

That would be nice. I'm working on a vampire styled game and your layout would be perfect for it, but I do all my windows with CELayout editor it would be great if your layout would work with it

dezGusty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby dezGusty » Sat Mar 10, 2012 13:22

Playerdark: I looked into the issue and noticed a small problem... I'm not sure yet if the problem is on my end, or the CEED or a combination of the two.

I made a new small release to fix this issue, special made for CEED compatibility. It will have scrollbars with smaller thumbs, but other than that, no difference from the standard version. You can get it http://sourceforge.net/projects/glossyserpent/files/GlossySerpent.0.2a_ceed.7z/download.

There's also a small text document describing how to add the library to the CEED. At least how I did it when I tested the compatibility. Let me know if it helps you out

Playerdark
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Playerdark » Sun Mar 11, 2012 06:14

Hi dezGusty,

it worked. I didnt copy the schema files over and it wasnt necessary to do so, now the editor starts up and provides the GlossySerpent style in the selection box. I will next try to replace the taharez identifier in my layout files with glossyserpent and see if they translate over automatically, probably with some necessary adjustments in the editor, but that is a small price to pay for this layout its really very nice. If I get it implemented in my game client, I will post a few screenshots.

Is there a higher resolution version available of the graphics? maybe 1024*1024?

Keep up the good work

Return to “Skins and Themes”