Is this project alive?

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

maxim
Just popping in
Just popping in

Is this project alive?

Postby maxim » Tue Mar 13, 2007 07:47

Hi,

It seems this project is pretty dead. I haven't got any responses for my topics I have posted.

I would love to have a more active connection with the developers. There are some issues in CEGUI, which I would like to solve, but as far as I can tell there's no one alive so why bother even mentioning things..

Wake up~~!

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Tue Mar 13, 2007 08:18

Hi maxim,

sorry to read this. No, the project is not dead but we are without the founder and project leader. Please see this thread: http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2453
So things happen a bit more slowly then usual/before.

About your messages. I have read them but i think most comments are a matter or taste, aren't they? Except for the quad-per-text element maybe, which is probably a performance related topic.

Do note however that any help is very welcome, and we appreciate you want to contribute :)

maxim
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby maxim » Wed Mar 14, 2007 03:57

scriptkid wrote:Hi maxim,
About your messages. I have read them but i think most comments are a matter or taste, aren't they? Except for the quad-per-text element maybe, which is probably a performance related topic.

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

The post about the Size/Point-types can be considered as a matter of taste, but I think the post about commenting out unused parameters in constructors is valid, the code should be warning free after all. I would appreciate at least some sort of reply than no-replies at all. :)

The main issues with CEGUI for us are currently:

1. Absence of localization support, which we solved by making a new interface/provider set. I would be happy discussing this further and integrating it with the official code base. It doesn't affect just strings, but also font-names.

2. The text system taking a huge amount of memory, both system and vram when using East-Asian scripts. We reduced memory usage little bit by changing a certain std::map -> std::vector, but that hardly is enough. I would be happy working on this with other developers - one option could be abstractize the font-system so that engine-provided font system could be used alternatively (maybe by extending CEGUIREnderer-interface?).

How should I proceed to join the development process?

Best Regards,

Maxim

steven
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby steven » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:16

maxim wrote:The main issues with CEGUI for us are currently:

1. Absence of localization support, which we solved by making a new interface/provider set. I would be happy discussing this further and integrating it with the official code base. It doesn't affect just strings, but also font-names.

2. The text system taking a huge amount of memory, both system and vram when using East-Asian scripts. We reduced memory usage little bit by changing a certain std::map -> std::vector, but that hardly is enough. I would be happy working on this with other developers - one option could be abstractize the font-system so that engine-provided font system could be used alternatively (maybe by extending CEGUIREnderer-interface?).

That would be a very good addition. I am ready to test it with my swiss-french font (öüç ß ...).

If I were you I would rename this thread to something like: "Localisation proposals".

How should I proceed to join the development process?

IMO the easiest for project manager is to receive patches :)
Either through the sourceforge tracker or, better if the patch is not final, through a forum message in which you discuss your proposal.

My 2 cents

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”