CELayoutEditor 0.5

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Dirso
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CELayoutEditor 0.5

Postby Dirso » Mon Apr 16, 2007 00:09

Is there any step by step guide to make it work?

Thanks,
Dirso

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Mon Apr 16, 2007 08:02

Dirso
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Dirso » Mon Apr 16, 2007 20:01

Hi,

I tried that and then I got all gui files from ogre eihort media file and then I got this error and I try to click "new":

Code: Select all

There is currently no mapping loaded for a StaticImage. Therefore is not possible to set a background image.

And then nothing works properly

Could you help me?
Thanks,
Dirso

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:24

did you try with the datafiles from CEGUI ? (the Taharez... ones)

Dirso
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Dirso » Wed Apr 18, 2007 21:48

In the ogre's distribution it has all those things, but is there any place where I can dl a complete version from?

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Thu Apr 19, 2007 07:01

As Pompei2 suggested, CEGUI itself comes with a datafiles folder, which resides in the Samples directory. I you have not modified those, the editor should at least be able to launch.

Good luck! :)

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Thu Apr 19, 2007 21:59

Keep in mind that most Ogre users haven't got the standard CEGUI distribution. :wink:

I will download and run the tool against those, and report problems, if any.

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Thu Apr 19, 2007 22:03

Right.
Here we go:
00:01:12: The file 'CELayoutEditor.ini' could not be found; default settings will apply now.
00:01:30: Can not enumerate files in directory 'D:\ogrenew\Samples\Media\gui/fonts/' (error 3: the given path was not found.)
00:01:30: Can not enumerate files in directory 'D:\ogrenew\Samples\Media\gui/schemes/' (error 3: the given path was not found.)

That means that we cannot use it with Ogre as-is, unfortunately.

Rackle
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Rackle » Fri Apr 20, 2007 05:17

The CELayoutEditor expects a directory structure with subdirectories like that of the "CEGUI_head\Samples\datafiles" folder, which "ogrenew\Samples\Media\gui" does not provide. I've tried editing the CELayoutEditor.ini to remove the subdirectories of the "gui" folder, since the Cegui files are all located within that "gui" folder, to no avail.

The simplest approach would be to copy that Cegui datafiles directory structure over to "ogrenew\Samples\Media", resulting in "ogrenew\Samples\Media\datafiles". This basically follows my (old) advice about upgrading Ogre v1.2's Cegui to v0.5.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Fri Apr 20, 2007 06:29

Sorry when i answered i looked at the python-ogre distribution, which does use the 'datafiles' structure.

Okay so i tried in the 'ogrenew' directory as well. Like Rackle tried as well, you can set all directories in the Editor's ini file to the same path, so they may all point to the 'gui' directory. But running the editor happened far from smoothly. The direcory contains no 'bluehigh.ttf' file so it won't be able to load fonts. And something seems to conflict between the taharez skin- and its aliases file.

I can only suggest Rackle's copy-files tip to you now.

HTH.

Rackle
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Rackle » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:43

Now that I've had some time to sleep, I may offer better advice...

The Cegui included with the Ogre source code is sufficient for the Ogre samples, but it is not sufficient for programmers that wish to develop GUIs using Cegui and Ogre. However that may not be a big problem. Here's what I mean (yes this is relevant, no I'm not just showing off).

I'm currently "involved" in multiple projects that use both Ogre and Cegui. Each project has a separate directory:

root
--MyPersonalProjects
----MyProject1
----MyProject2
----MyProject3
--Cegui
----Cegui_Head (svn)
----CeLayoutEditor (svn)
--CeguiTestBed
--ogrenew (cvs)
--ogreaddons (cvs)
--OgreTestBed

Within MyPersonalProjects are separate projects that contain a subset of the Ogre and the Cegui resource files. These are used until I replace them with my own media. There is a separate CeLayoutEditor.ini per project, since they have access to different media; imagine a kid's game with a cartoonish GUI, a business GUI, and a game GUI.

Yes, I'm copying some of the contents from Cegui and Ogre into multiple directories rather than using a single, unified location/source. And yes I have to update those contents whenever the media of Cegui and/or Ogre changes into multiple directories. That's a hassle, made simpler through batch files, but in return (as a positive) each CeLayoutEditor has access only to the media relevant to that project.

My argument is that the CELayoutEditor should not point toward the Ogre media nor the Cegui media but should instead point toward the directory structure that will actually be used within your project. Of course if you are an Ogre or Cegui core developer then your needs are different, but that's the minority; for nearly every programmer I argue that they should create their own directory structure for use by both the application and CELayoutEditor.

Here's another tidbit of information. The CELayoutEditor.ini specifies multiple directories. However Cegui applications can also use multiple directories: DefaultResourceProvider.

Incidentally, CeguiTestBed contains every tutorial that has been Wikied and OgreTestBed contains every tutorial as well as some snippets posted in the wiki or on the message board. These "test" projects make it easy to test out a feature before incorporating it within my "real" projects.

Return to “Help”