Thanks to the CEGUI team

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

daves
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thanks to the CEGUI team

Postby daves » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:30

I've been an Ogre/CEGUI developer for about half a year. I just recently moved to the Ogre Eihort and CEGUI 0.5.0. There were a lot of breaking changes in 0.5.0, but at first glance the system seems to be that much cleaner and that much closer to a 1.0 release.

I also now build CEGUI from source and am grateful to have visibility into the systems architecture.

I really like CEGUI, and appreciate all the time that the team has spent building what seems to be a powerful and elegant system.

Thanks for the effort.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Fri Apr 27, 2007 18:44

Hi Daves,

thanks for these kind words, which we badly need these days. As you might know cegui has a difficult time, mainly because our project leader has left. And besides that the Ogre community seems to be spawning some gui systems of their own. But we still believe that the investment in understanding CEGUI is worth the effort.

Thank you for the support!

Colbey
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Colbey » Mon Apr 30, 2007 08:30

I'd just like to agree with Dave, my company has just started using Ogre and CeGUI. So far we have managed to achieve birlliant results relatively quickly with your GUI and I don't think any of the other GUI's out there for Ogre are anywhere near the stage that your interface is. So thank you and keep up the good work, i hope you continue to develop this as I think there is still a great demand for CEGUI.

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 14:53

too bad eddie left. :cry:

by the way, do we have a maintainer/coordinater now ? somebody who puts all commits into svn and so on ?

daves
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby daves » Fri May 04, 2007 19:43

I've seen these other GUI systems, but am not inclined to move from CEGUI.

From what I've seen CEGUI has a well-thought out and powerful structure. To this day the platform has served us very well.

I very much hope the current maintainers continue to support this system.

I very much hope that the community will rally around CEGUI and highlight its value.

I think the fact that the leader has stepped away from the system should not discourage others. Firstly I think we all must realize that leading the development of such a system is EXTREMELY HARD, and it requires a lot of energy.

As much as I hope that Eddy might someday return to the project, I know that we all wish him the best, and would like to thank him for the effort to date.

But in reality this is a great opportunity for another member of the team to step up and help to drive this platform.

Good luck with this effort. However you proceed the time you've spent on the platform is much appreciated by all.

CaseyB
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby CaseyB » Fri May 04, 2007 20:47

daves wrote:I've seen these other GUI systems, but am not inclined to move from CEGUI.
Heck, I'm responsible for one of those GUI systems and you still see me here! It's the maturity and flexibility of CEGUI that keeps it at the top! So far I've only been using the looks that come with the download and I CANNOT WAIT to jump into trying my hand at making my own!

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Thu May 10, 2007 18:57

I second that! :D

Crazy Eddie might have left the project, but CEGUI's here to stay.
It's just too far along to be stopped. :)

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”