Mac OS X-Support

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

anlumo
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mac OS X-Support

Postby anlumo » Sun May 06, 2007 11:55

Hi,

I've been able to get CEGUI to work on Mac OS X 10.4 with the help of ldb_ on IRC. In addition, I was able to combine it with lua 5.1 with the help of Taharez. For the benefit of others, I'll detail how to get it to work:

First, there are some perquisites in addition to the libraries you'd need on Linux. First, you need automake 1.9, since the version shipped with Mac OS X is too old. Then, you'll need lua 5.1.x obviously.
For building the samples, you'll need Apple's X11, gtk2 and freeglut (yes, that's a bunch unfortunately). Note that in order to compile freeglut, I had to configure it using CFLAGS="-I/usr/X11R6/include" ./configure for some reason.

First, download CEGUI-0.5.0b from sourceforge (the tar.gz). Extract it somewhere. Then download CEGUI-0.5.0-mac.diff, and run patch -p1 < path-to-diff-file-you-just-downloaded. For some reason the command seems to be unable to locate the files to patch here, but it's easy to supply the filenames manually.
Next, copy/paste this into a file called "bootstrap" in the CEGUI directory:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

export WANT_AUTOMAKE='1.7'
export WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1

libtoolize --force && aclocal-1.9 $ACLOCAL_FLAGS && autoheader && automake-1.9 --include-deps --add-missing --foreign && autoconf

Run it by using sh bootstrap. It'll take a while.
Next, configure CEGUI using ./configure --with-gtk2 --enable-toluacegui. Then (if the summary at the end was ok), all that's left is the usual make (supplying the -j-switch according to your CPU count) and sudo make install.

Note that there's a small change in Demo8 that's not cross platform-compatible. When using lua in Mac OS X binary, you have to supply -flat_namespace when linking the binary.

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Sun May 06, 2007 12:15

Thanks.

Should we wiki this ? On the main page there is this:
* Installing from source win32, linux, OSX
where OSX is an empty link, maybe just link it to this post ?

anlumo
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby anlumo » Sun May 06, 2007 19:54

My personal opinion is that support for Mac OS X shouldn't be advertized when it takes those kind of steps to get it to work...
It would be nice if my changes could be integrated into the development version (the addition in the Makefile of Demo8 has to be solved in another way obviously). Then you wouldn't need my post any more anyways (except for knowing the prequisites).

Another nice additional feature would be native support of the samples, so X11, gtk2 and freeglut aren't required for them. I think there's something in there that doesn't work.

ldb
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby ldb » Sun May 06, 2007 23:35

anlumo wrote:Another nice additional feature would be native support of the samples, so X11, gtk2 and freeglut aren't required for them. I think there's something in there that doesn't work.

i think all that would take is just writing some code for popping up a dialog box with the available renderers. at the moment, the mac os x code for doing that is exactly the same as the gtk2 code, but wrapped in #if 0 #endif -- it looks like someone was going somewhere with it, and never finished.

i make it sound like oh yeah its just that simple, but the reality of it is that i have absolutely no experience with developing native mac os x stuff. ive never even used mac os x. so, take what i say with a grain-of-salt.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”