Problems with CEGUI Layout Editor in all shapes and sizes

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

ClayPigeon
Just popping in
Just popping in

Problems with CEGUI Layout Editor in all shapes and sizes

Postby ClayPigeon » Mon May 12, 2008 17:51

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this, I could not find a CELayoutEditor forum.

At any rate, I am having show stopping difficulties with the latest release of the Layout Editor.

Download and install binaries on a Windows XP Machine, try to run and get the following error:

This Application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Simple right? Just provide the .dll and away I go! Wrong, downloading this .dll from various sources and installing it or dropping it in the executable directory.. all have no effect.

Downloaded SVN Trunk, configured the settings, compile and run... same error.

So now I am trying it on my Windows Vista Laptop, precisely the same problem.

Any thoughts?

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Mon May 12, 2008 19:37

Mmm, these errors do generally only occur when you don't have any development tools installed, or are using a very clean install of windows.

You mean that after you drop the MSVCP71.dll file into the folder, you still get the same error? There's also this file: MSVCR71.dll, note the 'R'. Maybe it complains about that one?

Anyhow, it that fixes it, i will add the files with a next release, if i still use VC7 to build it by then...

HTH.
Check out my released snake game using Cegui!

ClayPigeon
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby ClayPigeon » Mon May 12, 2008 20:05

I am running Visual Studio 2005, with VS SP1 on both Machines.

It is indeed a P, I just double-checked :wink:

Yeah, dropping the file into the CELayoutEditor folder dos not correct the problem, nor does dropping it into the System32 folder.

I tried installing the file using RegSvr, but it kept crashing. Of course this should - in theory - only effect a systm registration of the component (meaning that direct placement of the dll in the executable folder should still be working). However with Visual Studio on both machines.... I'm at a loss.

I will try the R file just for grins, and let you know what happens.

ClayPigeon
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby ClayPigeon » Mon May 12, 2008 20:17

Well that was interesting.

It would seem that BOTH files are needed in order for it to run.

I bet, the other day on XP I tried the MSVCP and then didn't notice the subtle change to the error message to MSVCR :? , so I thought It wasn't working!

for the record:

It crashes wanting MSVCP71.dll first, and once that is provided it crashes wanting MSVCR71.dll. After providing both files everything worked and it runs - although now there seem to be new challenges with the .ini file.

Thaks for your help!

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Tue May 13, 2008 08:00

Okay glad you have it working now. If you run into such troubles again, a very nice utility can be found at: http://www.dependencywalker.com/

It allows you to load up a .exe or .dll (for example the layout editor) and it will list all required modules.

For another record: these at-startup DLL errors are not crashes :) It's a part of Windows 'bootstrapping' (and failing) the application.

What's the issue with the INI file? You need to point it's content to a valid 'datafiles' directory, which can be found in cegui/samples for example. You can delete the file, and re-start the editor. That should prompt you with a directory picker dialog.

HTH.

ClayPigeon
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby ClayPigeon » Tue May 13, 2008 19:21

Yeah I figured out the INI stuff, although now every time I fire up the program, I get the following error:

CELayoutEditor has detected and caught an exception. The following detailed info is available:

Description: Error
Exception Location: EditorFrame::LoadData
Exception Message: WindowFactoryManager::addWindowTypeAlias - alias 'Taharez Tab Pane' could not be created because the target type "Taharez/TabPane' is unknown within the system.
Exception Filename: \Projects\CEGUI\cegui_mk2-v0-6-2003\src\CEGUIWindowFactoryManager.cpp
Exception Line: 179

This occurs everytime I load even if I point the .ini file directly at the CEGUI "datafile" folder (downloaded from SVN less than a week ago).

It still seems to function but the overall behavior of the application seems affected - Weird issues with properties changing themselves or refusing to be set or saved.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Wed May 14, 2008 07:00

For the Tabpane stuff, you might have a look here: http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ez+tabpane

As you can read there, as a quick fix you can remove the tahareze alias file.

Not sure about the property mess up, i will test this myself a bit more thourough.

HTH.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”