TaharezLook Statictext with vertical scroll

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

geniephics
Just popping in
Just popping in

TaharezLook Statictext with vertical scroll

Postby geniephics » Mon Nov 10, 2008 14:22

Hi,

I'm using TaharezLook scheme. I trying to create a statictext with vertical scroll. However, the scroll doesn't appear. How do i actually create the scroll?

Code: Select all

CEGUI::Window* albumContent = wMgr.createWindow("SavannahGUI/AlbumStaticText", "AlbumContent");
      albumContent->setSize(CEGUI::UVector2(CEGUI::UDim(0, 240), CEGUI::UDim(0, 160)));
      albumContent->setPosition(CEGUI::UVector2(CEGUI::UDim(0, 450), CEGUI::UDim(0,110)));
      albumContent->setProperty("FrameEnabled", "False");
      albumContent->setFont((CEGUI::utf8*)"Comic_12");
      albumContent->setProperty("HorzFormatting", "HorzLeftAligned");
      albumContent->setProperty("VertFormatting", "TopAligned");
      albumContent->setProperty("Text", "Content\nContent\nContent\nContent\nContent\nContent\nContent\nContent\nContent\nContent\nContent");
      albumContent->setAlwaysOnTop(true);

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 09:37

Hi,

The scrollbar use is disabled by default, to enable to scrollbar do something like:

albumContent->setProperty( "VertScrollbar", "True" );

HTH

CE.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 16:21

I know I've seen this wiki page before (though I completely forgot about it): http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/PropertyFinder Here you can find all of the properties (base and custom) available for any .scheme file.

As it is though, this information is kind of disconnected from the falagard documentation. It might be beneficial to have the falagard properties (and default values) available with the normal falagard docs here: http://www.cegui.org.uk/FalDocs/ ?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 19:18

Hi,

I think you're right, and for sure some of these should definitely get added to the Falagard docs - those being the properties defined by the Falagard window renderer set (in fact, not having those is a glaring omission, and this StaticText property is one of those that are added by the window renderer).

As for adding all the properties defined in the xml skin files, I'm slightly torn; one the one hand, obviously the more accessible the information, the easier time users have. On the other hand there is the fact that the looknfeels are a very fluid thing and it would be easy for the docs to become outdated.

All things considered, I think an 'appendix' in the Falagard manual that lists the properties defined for TaharezLook and WindowsLook within the looknfeel would be a worthwhile addition. The only real snag is that you'd still have three places to check for properties; the API ref for base properties, and two separate chapters in the Falagard docs, one for the window renderer defined properties and one for the xml added properties.

Obviously a rational person might then say just create a single reference with all the properties - to which I'd refer to the wiki page ;) Seriously though, I think I'll add a ticket for adding a couple of sections to the Falagard docs.

Thanks for pointing out the omission.

CE.

geniephics
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby geniephics » Wed Nov 12, 2008 04:26

CrazyEddie wrote:Hi,

The scrollbar use is disabled by default, to enable to scrollbar do something like:

albumContent->setProperty( "VertScrollbar", "True" );

HTH

CE.

Thanks Eddie. I got it working now.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Wed Nov 12, 2008 20:02

CrazyEddie wrote:Hi,

I think you're right, and for sure some of these should definitely get added to the Falagard docs - those being the properties defined by the Falagard window renderer set (in fact, not having those is a glaring omission, and this StaticText property is one of those that are added by the window renderer).

As for adding all the properties defined in the xml skin files, I'm slightly torn; one the one hand, obviously the more accessible the information, the easier time users have. On the other hand there is the fact that the looknfeels are a very fluid thing and it would be easy for the docs to become outdated.

All things considered, I think an 'appendix' in the Falagard manual that lists the properties defined for TaharezLook and WindowsLook within the looknfeel would be a worthwhile addition. The only real snag is that you'd still have three places to check for properties; the API ref for base properties, and two separate chapters in the Falagard docs, one for the window renderer defined properties and one for the xml added properties.

Obviously a rational person might then say just create a single reference with all the properties - to which I'd refer to the wiki page ;) Seriously though, I think I'll add a ticket for adding a couple of sections to the Falagard docs.

Thanks for pointing out the omission.

CE.

Yeah, I only ment that the falagard-specific properties should maybe be listed in the falagard docs; it doesn't really make sense for non-falagard properties to be listed there. However, this may have an adverse effect if new users believe these are the only properties available, when there are actually 3 sets of properties per window: falagard, window-renderer, and custom-user properties - is this correct?

I guess one of the challenges with having a hierarchical system like this is that your docs also need to be able to reflect that hierarchy well, otherwise it will be troublesome finding the documentation/references you are looking for. I guess the API Reference tries to accomplish that, but there I could not even find a reference to the StaticText control much less it's properties...

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:48

Jamarr wrote:However, this may have an adverse effect if new users believe these are the only properties available, when there are actually 3 sets of properties per window: falagard, window-renderer, and custom-user properties - is this correct?

Pretty much, you have those properties defined on the widget base classes (these come from the core of CEGUI rather than falagard), then - as you say - any added by the window renderer assigned, and finally those defined in the xml. So, yeah, lots of flexibility, but hard to document in an ideal way.

Jamarr wrote:I guess the API Reference tries to accomplish that, but there I could not even find a reference to the StaticText control much less it's properties...

I think the doxygen scanning is skipping all the external modules. We should probably fix this as there are some other goodies that get left undocumented too.

CE.

Return to “Help”