CE takes a short break.

Official announcements from the CEGUI project.

Moderator: CEGUI Team

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

CE takes a short break.

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat May 02, 2009 08:04

Hi all,

Just a heads-up that I will be taking a 2 week break from today, so play nice and try to help each other out in my absence :)

See you around the 18th May :P

CE.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: CE takes a short break.

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun May 17, 2009 11:09

Hi all,

Just a quick, "no bullshit" post to update on my situation and where things are headed for me in relation to CEGUI.

It is no longer going to be viable for me to devote the virtually unlimited time to CEGUI that I have for the previous 12 months or more (since my return from the development wilderness). I had rather hoped we would be much, much further along with things than we are at this stage, but unfortunately there was much delay with a lot of features and there is still vast amounts of coding to be done before 0.7.0 can get released.

Because the code is so far behind where I had anticipated, and because I'll be limiting the time I spend on CEGUI, I intend to spend my 'CEGUI time' working almost exclusively on the code, and not answering posts on the forum. This is important, since coding means everything to me, whereas the rest of it, not so much ;)

I have no intention of answering every post on the forum such as what I was doing before my break. If I do answer posts, I'm no longer going to waste my time by asking for information that could and should have been already posted - so anyone who posts and has clearly not read (or chooses to ignore) the material here or the forum guidelines here, will find that I almost certainly do not respond. You may even post all the information and still find that I do not respond(!) - don't take it personally, but frankly, your issues are of no real interest to me ;)

Just to be clear, this is not a project or team policy, but a personal stance in order that I can maximise my effectiveness in relation to the CEGUI code and at the same time minimise my exposure to things that mainly serve to frustrate and distract me. I have no intention of leaving the project or 'disappearing' again. I am here, and here to stay - but will be focussing on the code side of things.

So, onwards and upwards :)

CE.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Thu May 21, 2009 13:55

nooo... you are leaving us few to fend for ourselves against the wild beasts!

j/k :) It sounds like you are doing well. I hope that you will still keep us updated with any progress you make towards v0.7. I would much rather see v0.7 progressing than you on here answering silly posts...since you've /already/ answered all of /my/ silly questions...ha ha! ^_^

p.s. why is bbcode off in this thread? bah...

sipickles
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby sipickles » Thu May 21, 2009 18:19

I know what a time drain manning a forum can be.

We all appreciate your coding efforts first and foremost - thats why we use CEGUI after all!

Hopefully we'll be able to look after each other an leave you to higher matters.

Looking forwards to 0.7 ;)

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Fri May 22, 2009 06:39

Aye, Capt.
Good decision. :D

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri May 22, 2009 08:43

Hi guys,

I fully intend to update the dev forum on my progress, since the feedback there is most important to me :)

Not sure why BBCode and smilies are off for you guys; probably something held-over from when this forum was read-only.

With regards to the support / coding role balance, it's something I always struggled with. Obviously without the code there is no library, but without the support the library is not so useful or easy to adopt. Having said that, it's obvious that more recently the code side of the equation has begun to suffer, which is why I decided to take a couple of weeks to evaluate, and then made the decision I did. With any fortune, there should be some new code in SVN over the next week :)

CE.

Jabberwocky
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat May 23, 2009 23:51

In an ideal world, there would be resources to fully support people who have beginner questions or trouble with CEGUI integration. But, this is a free, open source project, and I think it's fair to expect users to do some of their own leg-work. We have the code, we have examples, we can debug problems, and can make changes and suggest patches where necessary. This does make the project less beginner friendly, but I'd rather see continued development on the library than chewing up most of your time teaching people how to use the it.

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Sat May 30, 2009 15:44

Great code wins over great docs.

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:25

[quote="jacmoe"]Great code wins over great docs.[/quote]
Who can use great code w/o docs?

Still, I can feel ce's decision and fully support it. Although I think if you're done implementing "cool" new features, you should definitely write a tutorial, and check out the first questions in the forums about that feature, so you know what is hard to understand at it.

I know documentation is a programer's most hated task, even more then debugging ;)

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 19:59

I am fully capable of using great code without docs :)
Even when it has docs, I am too lazy to spend my time on looking it up.
I use the search tool of my IDE most of the time.. :P

(Why is BBCode off?)

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:02

jacmoe wrote:(Why is BBCode off?)

I think I fixed it now - please test it someone :)

CE.

Return to “Official Announcements, Works in Progress, and Future Directions”