ceGUI on Android?

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 14:37

A c++ to java bytecode compiler sounds interesting, although I have no experience with such things.

Currently your best bet is to hope somebody in the community volunteers to have a crack at this. While I think it might be a worthwhile project, I personally do not have the time nor inclination to start such an undertaking. I have already promised a load of CEGUI features I do not have time to do, without adding to that list:P

CE.

Tiresias
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Re: ceGUI on Android?

Postby Tiresias » Tue Aug 18, 2009 08:58

update:

With the release of the NDK and the fact that Google said that the next NDK version would support OpenGLES,
i am saying: wow maybe it will not be something as hard as we thought to port cegui on this platform ...

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 13:20

It sounds like good news. So... does this mean you are volunteering? :D

CE.

Tiresias
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Tiresias » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:06

:) i have hardly the skills !!!
but if ever it happens i will definitly adapt our new game client (based on cegui, will post some pix when finished) on cegui-android :D

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 18:31

I read a little about the NDK - it is indeed interesting and the prospects promising for a possible port. There's likely to be issues of course, though not insurmountable, and it's certainly more feasible than porting the entire CEGUI package to java :) (I'm not volunteering either, at least not for the moment).

CE.

ShiftZ
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby ShiftZ » Fri Aug 21, 2009 22:01

Since CEGUI is cross-platform itself, only a new OpenGL ES render module must be written to consider cegui Android\iPhone supported. I wonder if i should just wait for that module alittle or write it by myself ? =)

Tiresias
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Tiresias » Sun Aug 23, 2009 20:42

in all cases this is a BIG business ... i believe :)

i can financiate such project at least participate, why not trying to try to find funding?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 08:50

If enough people were to say to me "Hey! CE! Here's a wad of cash, now go and write an OpenGL ES Renderer / Android port / iPhone port / whatever, for everyone to use. There's a good chap." I would be more than happy to oblige.

CE.

Tiresias
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Tiresias » Mon Aug 24, 2009 09:29

So how can we start ?
i mean i knew a website where u could post a project and get people to finance the project,or maybe u know something else (here through donation) ?
let us know please

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 08:58

The best way is to donate via sourceforge; project level donations are not enabled at the moment, although for things that concern me personally you can donate directly to my sourceforge user (ice-drezday).

However, before anybody does anything like that, can we clarify what exactly it is being 'sponsored' here: an OpenGL ES renderer or something else? If it's the android 'port' don't we have to wait for the NDK release that supports GL first?

CE.

Tiresias
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Tiresias » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28

i think what is to be sponsored is ceGUI released on Android NDK.
for this yes we could wait to NDK GLES release but i believe meanwhile 90% of the work can be achieved right ? (compiling all cegui core engine with is not opengl related)

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:14

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, you're right that it should be possible to do much of the work without needing to be concerned about GLES.

CE.

ShiftZ
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby ShiftZ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 19:49

Seems CEGUI on Android is more then real now. There is no more need to port on Java etc.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 09:35

Yeah, I still have not looked at this, I'm afraid; having only the one pair of hands is a severe limitation right at the moment ;)

CE.

princefarr
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby princefarr » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:09

Thanks for that link. A little, who can not use these two basic requirements for the C + + (the exceptions, and RTTI), and it does pretty useless IMO) as the Ogre, the main concern is the exception. I recently macro-ised for our internal use CEGUI, even if you pull out the removal, by the exceptional use of CEGUI is almost impossible, and if you could do, CEGUI suddenly become very, very sensitive, or even unstable.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”