Falagard Visual Skin / Scheme Editor

Discussion regarding the development of CEGUI itself - as opposed to questions about CEGUI usage that should be in the help forums.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

lymantok
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: Falagard Visual Skin / Scheme Editor

Postby lymantok » Sun Apr 04, 2010 06:51

Adding my vote for a skin/scheme editor. $30 would be a steal CE! :D

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 08:49

Hi,

You will be happy to hear that production is now under way on the new CESkinEditor tool.

I actually intend to focus on this tool for the next few weeks (or months), and so will not be around on the forum / IRC so much, and also will not be working on the main CEGUi code either ;) Basically when working I have to get into what I'm doing and can't be dealing with a bunch of external distractions at the same time :P

Perhaps in a couple of weeks or so I can post some screen shots or something - depending on how progress goes :)

CE.

Jabberwocky
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 03:31

Great news, CE!
Keep your head down, and ignore all us troublemakers on the forum. 8)
The Salvation Prophecy
Space Combat. Planet Exploration. Strategic Domination.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun May 16, 2010 08:17

It's been a while so I thought I'd better update this topic :)

I have, off and on, been working on the editor. Currently I have the basics of the window layout - with a main editing area and a tree 'outline'. I also have the beginnings of some menuing and the undo/redo system in place. Once I finally manage to put some uninterrupted work into the editor, I expect progress to be fast, though up until now I have had too many distractions, which is why there's nothing to show you guys yet :P

All I can ask is for your continued patience and faith :)

CE.

wolfmanfx
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby wolfmanfx » Tue May 18, 2010 09:55

He CE i wish the best with the editor and count me to the guys who will pay for it when its useable :)

Jabberwocky
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue May 18, 2010 16:06

Thanks for the update!
The Salvation Prophecy

Space Combat. Planet Exploration. Strategic Domination.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:26

Hi Guys,

I'm posting a very early screenshot of the work-in-progress editor. To be honest, at the moment there's not a great deal to see, but it at least shows that the editor does indeed exist and is not merely some figment of CrazyEddie's imagination :P

CE.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 16:36

Looks good. This will definitely open up the door for visual-oriented people wanting to create skins ;)
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

Handy
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Handy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 14:15

Looks cool.
Also, I would have no problem paying for an editor.
It would come in really handy. :)

maori
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby maori » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:30

Looking good CE :D :pint:
trying to upgrade to 0.8.2 from 0.7.9 :D

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 13:32

Thanks for the replies, guys. Progress is still slow, but hopefully I'll post another screen shot at the weekend which shows that things have moved along a little.

CE.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Mon Jul 26, 2010 19:20

I think charging for tools is completely understandable. It's apparent that a lot of time went into development of this library and this is just a small compensation.

@People who think everything should be free: Imagine how much would it cost to develop CEGUI from scratch... This is the money CE could have gotten in his pockets if he worked on something else instead of CEGUI. Plus the $30 is just a symbolic fee anyways, CE would need a lot of people buying the tool to get his time investment into the skin editor back... Try to develop something bigger before nagging :wink:

@CrazyEddie: I think you can offer the editor for free to people who frequently provide support on the forum and for heavy code contributors. This way you can maybe sort the forum support problem 8) And the cheapskates can spend hours answering questions instead of paying $30. And if they continue to support the forum, they can get updates :D

btw: I have dusted my Paypal account and donated but the donation isn't showing up on my sourceforge account. Hopefully it has found it's way to you...

Another possible route is to make the tools free to attract a larger user base to hopefully get more donations...

EDIT: It may sound like I am anti-open-source which isn't true. Open source is great but food/motivation is necessary.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 08:37

@CrazyEddie: I think you can offer the editor for free to people who frequently provide support on the forum and for heavy code contributors. This way you can maybe sort the forum support problem And the cheapskates can spend hours answering questions instead of paying $30. And if they continue to support the forum, they can get updates :D

:lol: Great idea!

Seriously, the final decision as regards to the tool will be taken when the tool is finally ready - which is taking longer than I'd hoped, mainly because I've not been as productive as I would have liked. I've been spending time away from coding for a few weeks now, actually, but am staring to feel the desire to get on with things once again ;)

btw: I have dusted my Paypal account and donated but the donation isn't showing up on my sourceforge account. Hopefully it has found it's way to you...

Indeed it has. Thank you so much, it's highly appreciated :)

CE.

AtomR
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby AtomR » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:16

I have often bought cheap support tools that in the end were neither professional nor usefull as advertised, and expensive in the end. So with that in mind I would indeed spend $30 on this Falagard editor provided it would actually work as advertised. That is not to say you would not deliver and, seeing your commitment to CEGUi and what you've done so far, everything points to the contrary.
So thumbs up for "Falagard Visual Skin / Scheme Editor"

Chemtek
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Chemtek » Wed Jul 28, 2010 17:19

Mark me into the yes crowd, I'd love something like this :D

Return to “CEGUI Library Development Discussion”