May I use the LayoutEditor to create dynamic window?

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

harr999y
Just popping in
Just popping in

May I use the LayoutEditor to create dynamic window?

Postby harr999y » Mon Apr 19, 2010 04:38

Hello,I want to use the LayoutEditor(or other tools) to create dynamic window instead of coding it in the source code.May I implement it?
And,can the window use Shadow Progaramming? Please help me :)

PS:I'm a totally new learner for CEGUI and a poor English learner.So please excuse me and point out the mistakes in my words,Thanks~~ 8)

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: May I use the LayoutEditor to create dynamic window?

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Apr 19, 2010 09:19

I'm uncertain as to what you mean by the terms 'dynamic window' and 'shadow programming' :)

CE.

harr999y
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby harr999y » Tue Apr 20, 2010 00:59

CrazyEddie wrote:I'm uncertain as to what you mean by the terms 'dynamic window' and 'shadow programming' :)

CE.

Hi,CE.Thanks for your reply.And after I use the CEGUI,I feel it's a very great UI System.So worshipped to you! :D
And the 'dynamic window' I said is that the windows can have special affects so that it changes every frame with cool looks.And now I realize maybe I can use scripts to implement it.Hehe~~ :)
The 'shadow programming',I mean the GPU programming,CG,HLSL,etc... I think using them can get very wondeful effects at high speed.
Ok,wait for you. :wink:

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:09

Oh ok :) "shadow programming" should have been "shader programming" :)

For dynamic windows there are a couple of opportunities. You can hook into the WIndow::update function either directly by subclassing and registering your new window type with the system or via the events system and the Window::EventWindowUpdated event (which can also be used to trigger scripts and such). The other way and is probably more what you're looking for is to use a CEGUI::RenderEffect attached to some Window that's backed by a CEGUI::RenderingWindow - this is the approach taken in CEGUI 0.7.0 for the wobbly windows in Demo7. Note that is is quite a low-level interface, it makes it more powerful, but also a bit more 'raw' ;)

For shaders, the situation is basically the same. You can do it via RenderingWindow and RenderEffect objects. There's no concrete example's been released of how to do this - also note that this is not abstracted at all from the underlying API or engine. Also be aware this part of the system is not finished 100% so there is some variation at far as support goes (for example, shaders in DX10 does not work at the moment due to the way we incorrectly always install our own shader to do the 'normal' rendering) - shaders under OpenGL definitely works though and was used to produce a couple of the videos I put up on YouTube :)

CE.

harr999y
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby harr999y » Wed Apr 21, 2010 06:22

Oh ok "shadow programming" should have been "shader programming"

Haha,so terrible I forget it,so stupid... :mrgreen: :hammer:
For dynamic windows there are a couple of opportunities. You can hook into the WIndow::update function either directly by subclassing and registering your new window type with the system or via the events system and the Window::EventWindowUpdated event (which can also be used to trigger scripts and such). The other way and is probably more what you're looking for is to use a CEGUI::RenderEffect attached to some Window that's backed by a CEGUI::RenderingWindow - this is the approach taken in CEGUI 0.7.0 for the wobbly windows in Demo7. Note that is is quite a low-level interface, it makes it more powerful, but also a bit more 'raw'

Yeah,I just practised the wobblyWindow,it's very cool!Like the drag effect in Suse Linux :o . And indeed it's hard to use,the math(or maybe physics) knowledge with it,,,makes me so sad...Maybe I need to learn math and physics stronger:oops: The WIndow::update and Window::EventWindowUpdated are easier to use,I know a little about it,and I'm trying to use Lua to write it. ( :P If there is an Editor that we can use it to edit this kind of window directly,perfect powerful! :pint: )
For shaders, the situation is basically the same. You can do it via RenderingWindow and RenderEffect objects. There's no concrete example's been released of how to do this - also note that this is not abstracted at all from the underlying API or engine. Also be aware this part of the system is not finished 100% so there is some variation at far as support goes (for example, shaders in DX10 does not work at the moment due to the way we incorrectly always install our own shader to do the 'normal' rendering) - shaders under OpenGL definitely works though and was used to produce a couple of the videos I put up on YouTube

I'm sorry I don't find the concrete way to use it :( .Could it be that via RenderingWindow and RenderEffect objects,then I load the shader file by Ogre or DX9,then attach them or use it as an effect? )Ouch,Ok,I recognize I'm a little foolish :?...
Thanks for your reminds very much,and I'll see the videos to learn. :D Hope the videos will let me know.
Harry.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 09:22

The math in Demo7 is probably not a good example of how to do a wobbly effect. I just hacked it together one afternoon and that was that :lol:

For shaders, we really should try and get an example up. I'm not sure when I might be able to do that - I can try over the coming weekend, though can't promise I will get it done.

The videos largely just show visual examples; they are not instructional.

I've not tried to make render effects with Lua (yet), so getting that working is likely to be a little 'raw' - perhaps we can improve this aspect over time, though presently my coding time is spent somewhere other than the main CEGUI code ;)

CE.

harr999y
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby harr999y » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:39

The math in Demo7 is probably not a good example of how to do a wobbly effect. I just hacked it together one afternoon and that was that

Oh,my man! :shock: U are a good and powerful guy. :roll: But actually i think it should be a good example that it clearly shows using effect should combine math or physics with low-level interface.Helpful.

Wait for your shader example and Lua for effects,greet U! :idea: And no hurry. :)

Thanks again,u are so enthusiastic! :)

Harry.

Return to “Help”