Snapshot builds from the stable branch.

Official announcements from the CEGUI project.

Moderator: CEGUI Team

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Snapshot builds from the stable branch.

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 15:42

Hello, everybody.

This posting is about making available regular 'snapshot' builds from the current stable branch of subversion (which is branches/v0-7 as of this writing). Eventually these may transform into the more common 'unstable' builds from subversion trunk, though at the moment, because most development constitutes maintainence on the stable branch, I've decided to go this route instead as that should prove more useful to most people.

Currently my intention is to release these snaphots at regular intervals; likely to be once every two weeks, or perhaps weekly depending on the amount of work that occurs on the code. It's unlikely these releases would need to be made more frequently than this, although there are no obstacles preventing this should the need ever come up. As newer snapshot releases are made, they will replace the previous older snapshot files.

These snapshot releases will consist of five separate packages, as follows:
  • A tar.gz source release for linux and Mac Xcode users.
  • A .zip source release for Windows MSVC++ users.
  • A .zip binary package for Mac OS X in the style of the SDKs.
  • A .zip binary package for MSVC++ 8 in the style of the SDKs.
  • A .zip binary package for MSVC++ 9 in the style of the SDKs.
The releases are versioned according to the branch they're from and the date of the snapshot build. This was done in order that we can easily identify precise versions that people are using. For example, todays packages are named like:

Code: Select all

CEGUI-snapshot-0.7.100308.zip

And the version in the log and elsewhere is correctly reported as 0.7.100308. This way we know that a user with that version is using the snapshot from 8th March 2010.

It is important to note that while these snapshots will be coming from the stable branch, the release packages themselves will have had no testing at all; these packages are automatically produced and uploaded without human interaction or supervision. This means that for any given snapshot release, the packages may - for any number of reasons - have missing bits, or otherwise be unusable, which is perhaps the only down side. The advantages, however, are many:
  • Access to fixes and new features for those who can not / will not use subversion code.
  • Access to updated binaries containing those same fixes and new features.
  • Access to binaries compiled against the latest version of platform SDKs (like Windows platform and DirectX SDKs).
  • Access to binaries compiled with updated engines and such (like Ogre 1.7.0 and Irrlicht 1.7.1)
This is our first attempt at doing this kind of thing, so if anyone has feedback specifically for this new offering it would be good to hear from you :)

Because the names of the files will change frequently with each new release, I'm not putting direct download links here, instead you should navigate to the sourceforge.net download page for these files, where you will always be able to find the latest snapshot:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crayzedsgui/files/CEGUI%20Mk-2/snapshot

I hope you guys find this useful. Thanks for reading :)

CE.

Tiresias
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Re: Snapshot builds from the stable branch.

Postby Tiresias » Mon May 10, 2010 10:21

Where can we find the release note (or the list of changes) of a snapshot version ?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue May 11, 2010 08:39

This information is not included at the present time, so the info would only be available from the svn logs. I will look into the possibility of having that info automatically included for future snapshots.

CE.

ActionFG
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby ActionFG » Wed Jun 30, 2010 13:23

I have downloaded CEGUI-snapshot-0.7.100621.zip in below download page.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crayzed ... 2/snapshot

And it compiles well.
But i can't find CEGUIBase_d.lib and CEGUIOgreRenderer_d.lib which are needed in tutorial 6 in OGRE wiki.

Any suggestion?

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 18:32

Look at Basic Tutorial 7 - it's almost updated for Ogre 1.7.x.
If there isn't any lib files, something went wrong when you built CEGUI :)
They should be in CEGUI_ROOT/lib
They're called:

Code: Select all

CEGUIBase_d.lib
CEGUIOgreRenderer_d.lib

ActionFG
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby ActionFG » Thu Jul 01, 2010 01:14

There are three similar lib : CEGUIBase_Static.lib、CEGUIOpenGlRender.lib、CEGUIDirectx9Render.lib

IS there CEGUIOgreRender project in that snap solution?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:22

When building from source certain projects (such as the CEGUIOgreRenderer) are only enabled and included in the solution when enabled and set up in the config.lua file prior to generating the solutions.

CE.

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 05:24

Ogre-inspired setup guide here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Building+CEGUI

ActionFG
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby ActionFG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 01:24

Thank you!
I should read the README file in premake folder before compile the cegui solution.
I will try to follow the guide an try again.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun May 22, 2011 09:15

Ok, some people may be wondering... "Where are the damned snapshots?!" Well, a while back I had some issues with generating these (I broke the script!), then we started doing 6 weekly releases anyway, then things dried up completely :lol:

Soon there will be snapshots available again, though these will likely be from unstable, since we want to get more testing on that and also to get people moving in the right direction as far as migrating their code.

More news soon :)

CE.

Return to “Official Announcements, Works in Progress, and Future Directions”