[answered] About dependencies and _SECURE_SCL

For help with anything that CEGUI doesn't offer straight out-of-the-box, e.g.:
- Implementation of new features, such as new Core classes, widgets, WindowRenderers, etc. ...
- Modification of any existing features for specific purposes
- Integration of CEGUI in new engines or frameworks and writing of new plugins (Renderer, Parser, ...) or modules

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Timo
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

[answered] About dependencies and _SECURE_SCL

Postby Timo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 01:32

Okay, I wanted to compile my project in VC9 with _SECURE_SCL=0, but I found out that it doesn't create compatible code (iterators have different size etc). Thus, all libraries used in a program should use the same setting. And I can do this for everything else except the precompiled dependencies for CEGUI.

I have three questions:
1) Which setting was used when compiling the dependencies? I suppose _SECURE_SCL was turned on?
2) Is it safe to use FULLY_CHECKED_DEBUG_ITERATORS=false (which sets _SECURE_SCL=0) in combination with the precompiled deps? The pedantic answer to this question is "no", but I might be willing to overlook it if there's a compelling argument that they are reasonably compatible.
3) I know you're not going to provide the source for the dependencies, Eddie, so I won't request that. :D But I'd like to know if it's even possible to get them myself. I mean, does CEGUi use the dependency libraries as is, or have have they been customized somehow?

edit: I see now that FULLY_CHECKED_DEBUG_ITERATORS only affects debug build, which is a bit weird. I would think most people who want to disable _SECURE_SCL want to do it in release build and leave it on in debug. Anyway, it doesn't really change my questions, but I'm pretty sure now that my only chance is to compile the dependencies myself. Oh well...
Last edited by Timo on Tue Sep 21, 2010 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: About dependencies and _SECURE_SCL

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 09:21

1) Which setting was used when compiling the dependencies? I suppose _SECURE_SCL was turned on?

Yeah, the dependencies are pretty much built with normal / default MSVC++ options.

2) Is it safe to use FULLY_CHECKED_DEBUG_ITERATORS=false (which sets _SECURE_SCL=0) in combination with the precompiled deps? The pedantic answer to this question is "no", but I might be willing to overlook it if there's a compelling argument that they are reasonably compatible.

I also would say 'no' to this question. Although after adding the setting I did test and I believe it worked - though having said that, I also recall testing something else some weeks back and at that point I could not get this to work correctly (but I did not look into it any further at that stage).

3) I know you're not going to provide the source for the dependencies, Eddie, so I won't request that. :D But I'd like to know if it's even possible to get them myself. I mean, does CEGUi use the dependency libraries as is, or have have they been customized somehow?

The dependency libs are not customised at all, there are no specific version requirements (aside from not using something from 10 years ago!). Additionally, the only real configuration requirement is to ensure you build PCRE with the utf-8 support option enabled.

CE

Timo
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: About dependencies and _SECURE_SCL

Postby Timo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 15:09

Cool, thanks! :)

Return to “Modifications / Integrations / Customisations”