Ingame screens with GUIs

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

IgnisInCaelum
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ingame screens with GUIs

Postby IgnisInCaelum » Mon Aug 17, 2009 04:58

I'd like to use CEGUI to create both a user-facing GUI and GUIs on object within my application. I thought that the new rendering system in 0.7.x (er, trunk) looked incredibly promising, but then I find that System is a Singleton. Given that the only method I've seen of getting things rendered involves System::setGUISheet(), and that I can only have one System (which has only one Renderer(?), which I'd have one of for each screen plus the user-facing interface), I seem to have a bit of an issue. I've got RTT working through Ogre, but haven't yet been able to get CEGUI to do anything with it (barring assigning my one System to it instead of to the main window). I apologize if I'm just being dumb, but this has been frustrating, so I've opted to ask for help. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Is this the correct place for this? Apologies again incase it isn't.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: Ingame screens with GUIs

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 09:14

You definitely don't want >1 System object or >1 Renderer object, to have that requirement would be awful :)

What you're trying to do is (will be?) possible in 0.7.x. That 'x' is quite important because some stuff might not make the initial release in a 'friendly form' - I've made that decision because it became apparent that a release - any release - of the v0-7-to-be code was becoming essential, and as such certain supporting elements for some of the more advanced things in the new rendering system are getting bumped to later releases.

I'll look over this in the next couple of days and see what the obstacles currently are - one the one hand it should already be possible with some extra code, but on the other hand, I'm aware of various places where we do things which are not 'right' when considering multiple / secondary roots.

It's almost certain that when 0.7.0 is released, it will be possible somehow, though a nice friendly one-call interface will probably follow in 0.7.1 or 0.7.2 ;)

CE.

IgnisInCaelum
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby IgnisInCaelum » Wed Oct 28, 2009 02:03

Wow, already working on 0.7.2... :D 'Any word on how or when this will be simply doable?

IgnisInCaelum
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby IgnisInCaelum » Fri Aug 05, 2011 00:00

CrazyEddie hates me! He promised me info years ago and just forgot about me!. :cry: /me cries in the corner

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Fri Aug 05, 2011 00:28

This is already somewhat possible with custom code but you have to use widgets sharing a common GUI sheet and each having alternative rendering surfaces and you use these surfaces as textures (they are actually render textures).

We want to have multiple rendering roots in 0.8 to make this much more user friendly but due to time constraints we are not sure whether that will happen. We'll see :-)

PS: You can't ignore me here, sorry 8)

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26

IgnisInCaelum wrote:CrazyEddie hates me! He promised me info years ago and just forgot about me!. :cry: /me cries in the corner

I do not hate you. But yeah, I forgot about giving you any information regarding this, just like I forget to follow up on 75% of the things I say I will here on the forum.

The fact is that I really don't like participating on the forum; many of the people here annoy me and cause me to become distracted. This is why I rarely come here at all any more.

On top of this, right now I am maybe giving 1 or 2 percent of my time overall to CEGUI related things. This will change - to be higher again - in the future, but at the moment there are far more important things I need to spend my time doing.

CE.

Return to “Help”