Posting patches/pull requests on Mantis

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

pav
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Posting patches/pull requests on Mantis

Postby pav » Tue Dec 20, 2011 07:40

Just a quick question about bug reporting and pull requests / patches.

So, I've added several issues to Mantis. When I want to submit a patch or a pull request, should I just post an additional note to the issue (or attach a patch file), like I did on issue 650? Do you get notified on all comments, even if the issue is "new" and not "assigned"?

Thank you.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: Posting patches/pull requests on Mantis

Postby Kulik » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26

Hi,

what you did in 650 is enough to get it into CEGUI but is not a proper DVCS workflow. We accept patches or pull requests, it's your choice :-)

You seem to be doing a mix, committing it to your repo and posting patch to the changeset. This will definitely hurt you in the long run since as soon as I apply the patch and you pull, you will get it twice and with conflicts. You will likely have to strip the changeset you submitted.

For bigger features it's best to start a branch in your fork and then discuss it with us and nag us to pull it.
For smaller features it's possible to just submit patches (export patch from the changeset or a set of changesets). In this case you are likely to have to do some rebasing.

If you just commit into default in your fork and continue with that, it gets difficult for us to "cherry pick" the changesets without pulling them all. This usually results in us being grumpy :-)

PS: Kudos for your wiki work!

EDIT: I don't get emails for every new ticket but I do browse "recently modified" when I visit mantis, so it may take a while but I will notice it.

pav
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby pav » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56

Thanks for such a detailed answer.

About the workflow, I've been following the instructions on this wiki article: http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Contribution :( I'm relatively new to DVCS but I've worked with github & gitorious so I kinda understand how you clone a repo, create a branch, change, commit and then send a pull request. Patches are easy too. What I don't get is how to send a pull request via bitbucket since CEGUI's code is on sourceforge.net. It looks like I'm missing something really obvious :oops:

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Tue Dec 20, 2011 14:08

You send pull request by talking to us :-) IRC, mail, mantis

AFAIK sourceforge doesn't have pull requests.

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”