CEGUI C#/Managed

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

xdinos
Just popping in
Just popping in

CEGUI C#/Managed

Postby xdinos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 08:55

Hello, I was wondering if there any plans/thoughts to port/adapt CEGUI to C#

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: CEGUI C#/Managed

Postby Kulik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:31

I don't know about any. Though there is some demand for C# CEGUI as far as I know.

As I am mostly GNU/Linux bound I am unlikely to help in this area :-)

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32

As you likely already know, there used to be CEGUI#, which I believe is pretty much defunct right now - this was an officially endorsed C# port of the library, although CEGUI devs were not part of the team that ran that project (although I did contribute some code now and then).

There have been a couple of guys who came to IRC last year IIRC with an interest in doing either a wrapper or another complete port - I believe they decided to wait for the long delayed CEGUI 1.0 release, and I have no further information beyond that.

As far as the core CEGUI devs creating and maintaining a port, this is unlikely to happen. The team currently consists of two guys doing this in their free time, and the fact that CEGUI 1.0 is much delayed should indicate that free time is a little thin on the ground, so we're not looking to take on any more major efforts related to the CEGUI project at this time.

Hope this answers your question.

CE

xdinos
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby xdinos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:15

Thanks for your replay.

As you correctly guested I'm aware of CEGUI#, and that is pretty much defunct.
I was wondering if you mind if I would try to port/adapt CEGUI to C#

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:19

I don't mind at all - if you're insane enough to give it a try! :D

What I would recommend is that if you're going to do this, that all other people interested in the development of another port (or wrapper, or whatever you decide) should get involved here in this topic in order that there could be a single concentrated effort to make this happen rather than different guys going it alone and coming up with nothing :) Also, consider whether the existing CEGUI# code could be of use in any way at all - starting with something is easier than starting with nothing.

If you intend to wrap or closely follow the cegui API, it is strongly suggested that you do that for the default mercurial code that will become CEGUI 1.0. The moment CEGUI 1.0 is released later this year all previous versions will be 'obsolete' in our eyes - so you'll want your work to be current and not obsoleted overnight :)

Finally, I would suggest moving this topic to the development forum, since I think it's more useful there - especially if other people might get involved, let me know if you agree with that.

CE.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22

Also keep in mind that it is highly recommended to make some sort of a binding generator. Hand created bindings are almost impossible to support in the long run.

It would be awesome if we could somehow support both .NET and Mono at the same time but I am unsure whether that's feasible.

Good luck with the project! :-)

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52

do you want to port it by keeping the main cegui in c++ and work with managed/unmanaged code to create bindings for C# or do you wanna rewrite it all in C# completely?
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

xdinos
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby xdinos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 13:26

I was thinking to rewrite it all in C# with some adaptations on the events, and the properties system

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Wed Jan 30, 2013 14:03

that will be a lot of work for 1 person, the cegui codebase is huge. Also how do u keep up with the updates, so you dont miss any fix?

whats cool is that if you keep the xml syntaxes the same (which i guess you will), programs like CEED can still be used to create layouts, imagesets etc.

xdinos
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby xdinos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 14:12

Ident wrote:that will be a lot of work for 1 person, the cegui codebase is huge.

yes I know... we will see...

Ident wrote:Also how do u keep up with the updates, so you dont miss any fix?

I'm thinking to port on releases i will start with the current one 0.7.9 and then go on, something like that I think...

Ident wrote:whats cool is that if you keep the xml syntaxes the same (which i guess you will), programs like CEED can still be used to create layouts, imagesets etc.

that's the idea

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Wed Jan 30, 2013 14:36

porting only stable release is a good idea

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 15:18

xdinos wrote:I'm thinking to port on releases i will start with the current one 0.7.9 and then go on, something like that I think...

While you are free to proceed as you see fit, IMO that's a mistake. When 1.0 is released, the changes from 0.7.x are immense - not impossible to update to, but immense effort would be required. Why not start with the code that will be 1.0 and perhaps by the time you have something ready, CEGUI 1.0 will be released? This is as opposed to doing 0.7.9 and by the time you have it ready it's old and obsolete and 100% incompatible with a "just released" CEGUI 1.0.

It is still your choice, of course - just wanted to be sure you're aware of the situation as regards to the coming 1.0 release and those that went before.

CE.

xdinos
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby xdinos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 16:21

thanks for the heads up

xdinos
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby xdinos » Thu Jan 31, 2013 09:11

I have downloaded a snapshot version fron bitbacket and I'll start with this one
If you want to move this thread go ahead.
Thanks

xdinos
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby xdinos » Wed Jul 31, 2013 14:48

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”