Compiling Source under VS2012

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

yankes
Just popping in
Just popping in

Compiling Source under VS2012

Postby yankes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07

Dear All,
I've been recently trying to compile the source code provided on the website under Visual Studio 2012. I followed the steps that are posted on the wiki in order to compile it under Vs2010 and I tried to do the same under 2012. However I am getting mismatch erros for the values of _MSC_VER, referencing CEGUICoronaImageCodec.obg and corona_d.lib. It says that>>> mismatch detected for '_MSC_VER: value '1600' doesn't match value '1700' in CEGUICoronaImageCodec.obj.

Moreover, I am also getting Error 21 error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'd3dx9.h': No such file or directory v:\crazyeddiesgui\cegui-0.7.9\cegui\include\renderermodules\direct3d9\ceguidirect3d9geometrybuffer.h 34 1 CEGUIDirect3D9Renderer

Can anyone help me solve the situation?

Thank you very much

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: Compiling Source under VS2012

Postby Kulik » Thu Jan 31, 2013 13:23

No offense intended in this post, just constructive stuff.

Why not use MSVC 2010 if it's supported better? Do you really need MSVC 2012 so badly? When you then learn how build processes work you can upgrade easily...

Regarding the DirectX9 SDK error, please google... It's not CEGUI specific, everybody who touches DirectX9 deals with this one.

My other advice is that you should not overextend yourself or you will get frustrated and give up. It seems that you have very little C/C++ development experience, else you wouldn't be asking these questions. It's perfectly fine, this is all about experience and I am NOT calling you dumb or such. Perhaps make yourself familiar with the ecosystem a bit slower, writing a simple CLI game first or such.

yankes
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby yankes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 13:50

I've disabled the DirectX rendering, so it doesn't botter me anymore on compiling, since what I am really trying to look into is OpenGL.

Well, I'd say I'd need the VS2012 badly, since I have a valid registered copy of it, while VS2010 I don't :rofl: So in this case, it's quite convenient that I could migrate it to VS2012. But ok. I can always use Vs2010 Trial Version :)

Thank you for the advices, although the main problem is still to be resolved.

And yes, my experience with Graphical Rendering is very poor.

By the way, I perfectly understand the meaning of the errors, I didn't know how to solve them. The question regarding the MSC version is still to be discovered.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Thu Jan 31, 2013 13:58

Ok, enlighten us with your interpretation of the error.

kewur
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby kewur » Thu Jan 31, 2013 19:59

There were alot of issues while compiling under vc11, it's been some time since I did that so I'll try to remember all the details. I had to first compile the SILLY image codec's dependencies which included zlib and the others. you basicly have to compile all the dependency .dll files that are not CEGUI first, than you can use those .dlls to compile CEGUI, I don't particularly remember I had a mismacth error with corona.lib, but it is quite possible I may have gotton the same error. You can always use my precompiled dlls so that should solve the problem for you (just copy and replace all the dlls to the corresponding dlls I have). But if you insist on compiling it yourself, I can suggest you download all the dependency librarys from their original website and compile those, they usually have a vs solution you can open yourself, except for zlib, and there was a bug with the SILLY code at one point that I had to fix myself, but I found the solution for that on the internet (don't remember exactly where).

just realized _MSC_VER mismatch can be caused by the version of the compiler aka vc11 (VS2012) vs vc10 (VS2010), I do remember that at one point I changed all the values from vc10 to vc11 in the make file (or wherever it's changed cant remember sorry).

the quickest solution for you would probably be using my dlls however. I hope I could be of some help to you. the forum post where I give the links to the dll : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6240

yankes
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby yankes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 07:20

Thanks a lot for your post kewur.
Yea I also thought that the only solution with the _MSC_VER could pass by changing the values myself from vc10 to 11, although I haven't tried yet. Maybe I will just follow your advice, I will try to link to your dlls at first to see if I can get it compiled. If it works, I may eventually think on compiling them myself, although that's not such a priority to compile libraries which are not from CEGUI.

Thank you once again for your help :D

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:35

Just for the record: This has *NOTHING* to do with graphical rendering. This has something to do with understanding how build systems work and what a compiler and linker is!

The libs you are linking are incompatible with the linker that's linking them, there is a mismatch. Build everything yourself to avoid it. corona.lib was probably built with MSVC 2010 and you are linking it to a newly built library (in MSVC 2012). You can change the _MSC_VER symbol manually (a lot of pain but possible with tinkering) in the libs but you don't want to (EVER!). It's there to avoid you shooting yourself to both feet at once.

Return to “Help”