Removing deprecated components from the D3D11 renderer

Discussion regarding the development of CEGUI itself - as opposed to questions about CEGUI usage that should be in the help forums.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Montred
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Removing deprecated components from the D3D11 renderer

Postby Montred » Mon Feb 18, 2013 06:55

1) I want to use CEGUI with a D3D11 application and would like to get rid of the D3DX dependency (D3DX is deprecated now). This makes deployment of the application easier too since you don't need to deploy DirectSetup DLL's. You will still need the compiler dll but for the newest version Microsoft allows you to just put the dll in the game directory.

What this involves is removing the dependencies to d3dx11 and d3dx10 (using d3dcompiler) and using DirectXMath instead of D3DX.

The problem is that this would also make the Windows 8 SDK necessary to build. (Note that the Windows 8 SDK works with older versions of Windows too). Ogre3D has already made this move in the trunk.

So I'm gonna make this for myself, if you would be interested in this let me know, I'll add it to my repository.

2) Apart from this I also want to remove the D3DCompiler dependency because I want to compile the shaders myself and ship them compiled. Obviously this is something that has to be optional so I'm thinking that I could add some #defines and an option in the building configuration to turn this on. By default, it would still compile them online. Would this be cool?

Cheers.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: Removing deprecated components from the D3D11 renderer

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 09:19

For myself, I think removing any dependency is a good thing, however for the v0-7 branch we cannot accept any change to dependencies at all (some people have different perspectives on this, but changing dependecies in any way for a so-called stable branch is not something we subscribe to). Of course changes in the default branch are more than welcome.

For point number 2, having the option to use precompiled or runtime compiled shaders, I don't see any reason why that can't happen :)

CE.

Return to “CEGUI Library Development Discussion”