[Solved] CEGUI Exception

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Alundra
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

[Solved] CEGUI Exception

Postby Alundra » Mon Jun 30, 2014 17:06

Hi,
I didn't went into the sourcecode but I read (I didn't remember where) that CEGUI uses exceptions.
Are they all disabled in release and only used in debug mode ?
It's a performance question.
Thanks

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: CEGUI Exception

Postby Kulik » Mon Jun 30, 2014 17:20

We allow people to disable exceptions but we strongly discourage it. See the CEGUI_THROW macro. I think it was originally provided to rebuke people coming to the forum and claiming that exceptions are too slow.

Unless an exception is actually thrown the runtime performance impact is minimal. Please provide references and *REAL* data why this matters to you. Do you have a real high performance project where this really matters? By all means show us. But show us real data, not 3 sentences of rumours.

CEGUI does not use exceptions for control flow. We use them in *exceptional* cases - really important errors.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Jun 30, 2014 17:34

We don't regularly throw CEGUI exceptions in the internal code. In fact we do not throw them at all, unless something exceptional happens. Pun intended.
Performance is not affected.
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

Alundra
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Alundra » Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:12

Thanks for informations

Return to “Help”