[NonIssue] CEGUI Rotation Issue...

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

datahead
Just popping in
Just popping in

[NonIssue] CEGUI Rotation Issue...

Postby datahead » Sun Nov 30, 2014 05:51

We've had an issue for a while where icons within our level editor for "The Secret Chronicles of Dr. M" (a fork of Secret Maryo Chronicles) do not rotate properly, making it confusing as to which rotated version of an object you are using.

It appears to be a CEGUI usage issue.
A picture of the problem and general discussion are at: https://github.com/Secretchronicles/TSC/issues/149
A team member identified this line as the culprint: https://github.com/Secretchronicles/TSC ... r.cpp#L146
--Arguing it does not make use of a y rotation value field to implement the rotation
I came across this commit in github: https://github.com/Secretchronicles/TSC ... ecc2f1ca25
--Here, a former team member says he changed the code to fix a different CEGUI issue in which editor items were "over the mouse"
--He then notes, "sadly, rotation doesn't seem possible with the new method"

If anyone is able to offer any guidance / help in this, it would allow us to move forward with this. We are hoping to issue the first release of the game in 5 years, and currently this issue has been removed from the list because none of the team members has the necessary CEGUI expertise for it. I have no experience with CEGUI myself (and am largely tied up with school). Quintus tried this but could not find a solution.

Be forewarned, some of the team members in the discussion are not fans of CEGUI. We will gladly listen to other feedback on CEGUI (the team has had significant trouble trying to upgrade to the latest version).

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: CEGUI Rotation Issue...

Postby Kulik » Sun Nov 30, 2014 13:44

Hi,
do you want gradual rotation or just multiples of PI/2? If it's multiples of PI/2 you can just use different UV coords for each case. You can also flip over X or Y using just UV coords. The problem is probably very easy to understand to somebody who works with the editor but I have no clue, sorry. CEGUI can do gradual rotation if you really need it but it's more involved.

Regarding your troubles upgrading and simultaneous rants that CEGUI is too complex I will just note that you can have one or the other. We are improving the API but that inevitably leads to upgrade pain. We are fairly responsible and do not break a stable branches.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Nov 30, 2014 21:32

datahead wrote:(the team has had significant trouble trying to upgrade to the latest version).

There is a wiki page with porting tips. You didn't mention what they were upgrading from though. I assume 0.7 to 0.8? We can't know.

Your overall issue seems to be related to your team not being able to do something in their own code, not CEGUI related. Could you specify which EXACT functionality of CEGUI does not yield the expected result?
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

Quintus

Postby Quintus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:36

TSC lead developer here. I didn’t know datahead made a posting on the problem here until he noted it in our tracker (linked from above), but I think I should clarify a bit. The problem we are experiencing here is most likely not anything related to CEGUI at all, it just appears in a context where it is used to display some menu stuff. We have to analyse the problem further, but as we are preparing for an upcoming release right now and the problem is only minor, nobody has put the necessary efforts in resolving it. If it turns out to be related to CEGUI, someone of us will check the problem out with you. As it stands currently, it is a bug somewhere in our code nobody has had the time to really investigate. Ignore this thread for now, we have to dig into the thing in our own code first.

Ident wrote:Your overall issue seems to be related to your team not being able to do something in their own code

I hope I could explain why it went the way it went unfortunately. datahead was posting this although he didn’t know how to exactly locate the problem, while we have not yet even analysed where the problem comes from in our code due to focusing on different things right now.

As for the upgrading issues, we have not yet decided how to continue. The menu needs we have are probably simple enough to not require a complex library such as CEGUI, and as the abandoned legacy codebase we took over some time ago is quite large and nobody really knows everything in it yet, streamlining it is one of the mid-term goals we have.

Valete,
Quintus

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: [NonIssue] CEGUI Rotation Issue...

Postby Ident » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:03

Since you guys seem to dislike CEGUI: I am not sure what you are trying to do in your application, but for a tool UI a library like Qt might serve a better purpose. Unless you want the UI rendering to be integrated with your overall rendering process of the tool or are trying to do some infoVis type of application

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:14

IIRC CrazyEddie ported the old SMC code to from CEGUI 0.6 to 0.7. Not sure you can convince him to do it again for 0.8 but I thought I would point this out :-)

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:28

Porting from 0.6 to 0.7 was much harder than 0.7 to 0.8 afaik. Either way it shouldn't be really difficult to port this for somebody being past C++ novice state.

datahead
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby datahead » Mon Dec 01, 2014 15:45

My original intent was to find a CEGUI developer who could look into this issue a bit and get it fixed or pinpoint the problem because our development resources are limited right now, but I obviously ended up stretching the rules of your forum a bit too much. I really should have posted this on some sort of website where you can try and recruit volunteers for programming tasks. The infraction is solely mine and is not reflective of the Secret Chronicles team.

Also, it was not appropriate for me to link to an internal discussion like that in this posting. Again, I apologize for the trouble.

I'm fine with closing this -- no one is going to be able to provide the game architecture insight for at least a month, probably. If we have upgrade issues, they will belong in a separate forum posting. All of the help you've given us so far is appreciated.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Dec 01, 2014 16:24

datahead wrote:My original intent was to find a CEGUI developer who could look into this issue a bit and get it fixed or pinpoint the problem because our development resources are limited right now, but I obviously ended up stretching the rules of your forum a bit too much. I really should have posted this on some sort of website where you can try and recruit volunteers for programming tasks. The infraction is solely mine and is not reflective of the Secret Chronicles team.

If you use the term "CEGUI developer" in the official CEGUI forums moderated by the official developers of CEGUI, I assume most people would understand it the way that you mean the DEVELOPERS OF CEGUI, which is paul (crazyeddie), martin (kulik), timotei (his identity is a mystery) and me. Asking the developers of CEGUI, a library which you use for free, to work on your project for free, would be a very strange thing to do, especially after you mentioned how you don't like CEGUI. I hope this explains the responses.

You should have been clearer in your post as to who you refer to and what you want.

If you want help you can post a thread about your project in our projects forum viewforum.php?f=4 (possibly with some screenshots and stuff) and mention there that you are also looking for potential developers. There it will also stay visible for longer, people will instantly see what it is about, and it wont be moved out of sight under the new threads (as would be the case in this very subforum). I think this is a good solution for everyone, if you want to try that.

Return to “Help”