TinyXML2 parser

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TinyXML2 parser

Postby niello » Fri Sep 02, 2016 08:35

Hi.

For a long time I use TinyXML2Parser for XML parsing in CEGUI. If you are interested in it, I can share the code in a form that is convenient for you. This parser uses updated and actively developed version of tinyxml library, that can be found here:

https://github.com/leethomason/tinyxml2

I would appreciate if you consider it useful and add it into CEGUI. For now, after each CEGUI update I have to add all source and project files by hand.

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Re: TinyXML2 parser

Postby YaronCT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 08:39

@niello: Adding TinyXML2 support is indeed something I've planned and if you've done it that's great!

If u can contribute it to cegui in the form of a PR (pull request) that would b highly appreciated!

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby niello » Fri Sep 02, 2016 14:34

Ok, I will update my code to conform to other parsers and then I will do pull request. Good chance to learn how to do it at all :)

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 14:41

@niello: If u have no experience with VCS-s, I'm not sure by the time you've learned how to do it your face will be like " :) ". Good luck! :lol:

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby niello » Fri Sep 02, 2016 14:47

I have experience with Perforce, SVN and Git, but since first two have no PR concept and I used Git only as a single developer, I never touched this part of the system.

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby niello » Fri Sep 02, 2016 16:01

Done :) The most strange thing is that I must fork and clone the whole CEGUI just to propose an addition of a couple of files.

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby niello » Fri Sep 02, 2016 16:04

I waive my copyright on this work and you can use it without restrictions. You may need to change parser description string and add the parser into a build system. If I can do something to improve this commit, please tell me. I have no experience of contributing into open-source projects so I may do smth wrong.

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 17:59

@niello: Lol I got news for u: you've waived your rights the moment u created the pull request :lol: Once it gets into cegui it has the cegui license (MIT license). Of course, you're more than welcome to add your name and a short description of your project to "doc/doxygen/authors.dox" in the cegui repository, under "Main Contributors".

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby niello » Fri Sep 02, 2016 18:49

A say it just to note that I understand what I do :) I added myself into a contributor list, but I didn't see anybody wrote a brief description of his/her project. Do you mean a description of contribution?

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:11

niello wrote:A say it just to note that I understand what I do :) I added myself into a contributor list, but I didn't see anybody wrote a brief description of his/her project. Do you mean a description of contribution?

By "project" I meant the PR, not your private project where u use it, so it's actually the same as "contribution", but I think you've already got that :)

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby niello » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:36

Nevermind, it is a language barrier. Sometimes it makes me specify really obvious things)
Second PR is ready for your review.

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Sat Sep 03, 2016 20:11

niello wrote:Done :) The most strange thing is that I must fork and clone the whole CEGUI just to propose an addition of a couple of files.

I think that with today storage's price the pros of cloning the repository outweighs the cons. The whole cegui repo is 190M uncompressed - it's negligible.

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Mon Sep 05, 2016 07:03

@niello: Also note that there's no need to fork for every PR, even if u wish to open several PR-s to the same repo b4 the previous ones have been merged. What u should do is, instead of having your commits have the same branch name as the branch u want to merge them to, u use a feature branch - i.e. a new branch just for the feature / issue u deal with, e.g. "tinyxml2". Then u make the PR e.g. from "niello11/CEGUI" branch "tinyxml2" to "cegui/CEGUI" branch "v0-8". Actually this is the recommended way to do PR-s always, and is more convenient for both u and us.

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby niello » Mon Sep 05, 2016 15:43

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I will try it the next time I have something useful to share.

niello
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby niello » Thu Sep 08, 2016 16:00

Do you still need tinyxml2 4.0.1 release PR for cegui-dependencies? I see the lib is already in repo.

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”