what about an utility to edit *.imageset files

Help and discussion regarding skinning, themes, and other artistic content.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

what about an utility to edit *.imageset files

Postby martignasse » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:56

I'll surely begin this sort of utility in a near future :D

And of course, want you'r opinion before go.

For now, i see three possibility :

1°)
Make on more exe based on wxWidget.

2°)
Add it to the CELayoutEditor.

3°)
Add it to the TestaSkin utility.

All of these way have there hown Good vs Bade Side...

and of course i want to know what fonctionnalities you want in it.

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby lindquist » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:18

This kind of tool would be great :)

pixelized zoom support and easy image-rect dragging/resizing would be awesome...

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:52

pixelized zoom support and easy image-rect dragging/resizing
Yep, it's a minimum... :wink:

And these are far easy to implement in 3D than 2D...
so first and third solution is better for that.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:46

Hi martignasse

We spoke about your imageset editor yesterday on the IRC channel, and everybody basically agrred that it will be an excellent tool to have available :)

Once you have some code up and running that you're happy with, I'd like to extend the offer of hosting the code in the CEGUI Add-ons CVS repositiory.

Anyway, in the mean time, I am certainly looking forward to getting my hands on such a tool, having created the TaharezLook and WindowsLook imageset XMLs by hand, I'd certainly appreciate not having to do it again too often ;)

CE.

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Sun Feb 19, 2006 13:21

I remember the Crazy Skin Eddietor - by centipede/baxissimo. :wink:

Why not continue that effort? Either port the python script, or use it as a base for an improved Falagard enabled version? :)

Centipede posted news about his latest project, here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17273
Too bad that noone seems to spot the coolness of his work. :P

Btw: Whatever you decide, Martignasse: I agree that the world needs a good imageset creator program! :)

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Mon Feb 20, 2006 08:32

Hi!

I didn't follow the IRC discussion, so i don't know exactly what this thread is about, but if it is about creating a .imageset file based on some image editing, then you might have a look at this:

http://kurtm.flipcode.com/imagechunks/

I haven't tried this, but it seems to be able to export to XML, which might only need a conversion in the end... might be worth giving a try.

Dalfy
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Dalfy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:14

Another approach is to write a plugin for the gimp. I know it can handle imagemap and export html code for it. It might as well be used for exporting CEGUI imageset.

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:25

wow, lot of great people here... :D

so, one thing is sure, everybody want this imagset editor (me first), cool

CrazyEddie
Once you have some code up and running that you're happy with, I'd like to extend the offer of hosting the code in the CEGUI Add-ons CVS repositiory.
You have the way to motivate people :wink:

jacmoe
I remember the Crazy Skin Eddietor - by centipede/baxissimo.

Why not continue that effort? Either port the python script, or use it as a base for an improved Falagard enabled version?
I remenber this, and looked at it some time ago and seem's like lot of things was "hard coded", i'll look again. For now, i feel like it's better to code from scratch, after a feature request round up.

PS : yep, i saw his new prog on the orge forum, great tool... and now i know why he isn't active on cegui for now :lol:

scriptkid
you might have a look at this:

http://kurtm.flipcode.com/imagechunks/
I looked at it, seem's clean, but just exe are available, and only the part about assigning quad is interesting for us. I'll should mail the author.

Dalfy
Another approach is to write a plugin for the gimp. I know it can handle imagemap and export html code for it. It might as well be used for exporting CEGUI imageset.
sound a little overloaded for the task, and this will not be "the imagset editor", anyway, could be a good thing for those who are on the gimp workflow.

centipede
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby centipede » Wed Feb 22, 2006 09:26

I'm not all gone :wink:

Martignasse, you will need more than just a tool to create .imageset files. For me, the toughest job was in the .looknfeel files (and in keeping the various files in sync). This is really silly when you think of it because even though FalagardLook has tons of features I only used the most simple ones... Hmm.. It looked like this:

Code: Select all

<FrameComponent>
    <Area>
        <Dim type="LeftEdge" ><AbsoluteDim value="0" /></Dim>
        <Dim type="TopEdge"  ><AbsoluteDim value="0" /></Dim>
        <Dim type="Width"    ><UnifiedDim scale="1" type="Width" /></Dim>
        <Dim type="Height"   ><UnifiedDim scale="1" type="Height" /></Dim>
    </Area>
    <Image type="TopLeftCorner"     imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.1.1" />
    <Image type="TopEdge"           imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.1.2" />
    <Image type="TopRightCorner"    imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.1.3" />
    <Image type="LeftEdge"          imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.2.1" />
    <Image type="Background"        imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.2.2" />
    <Image type="RightEdge"         imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.2.3" />
    <Image type="BottomLeftCorner"  imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.3.1" />
    <Image type="BottomEdge"        imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.3.2" />
    <Image type="BottomRightCorner" imageset="Horror1" image="Button.hover.3.3" />
</FrameComponent>

Making your tool so that it can create .scheme, (simple) .looknfeel and .imagesets in one go wouldn't be that hard. If people need more specific work for some parts (e.g. positioning of symbols on the window-frame title) they can do so by hand. But any decent graphics guy can make a run-of-the-mill button, editbox, listbox, scrollbars, checkboxes, statictext, framewindow, etc. etc. as a bunch of gridcells, e.g. (1x1, 3x1, 3x3...) that can be expressed easily in .scheme, .looknfeel and .imageset.

If you get this up and running, then I can make my skins ready for cegui. The gfx per se is easy to make once you get the feeling for it. It's the bureaucracy that kills.

@Martignasse: If you hit rock ground with this, let me know. This is a loose end I would like to see tied up properly some day. Don't go python if you can make solid c++ :twisted:
The reason the skineditor looks hardcoded is because I started it before Falagard, in the days when looknfeel modules had hardcoded elements which could obey rules of their own. E.g. the titlebar of a frame which had a system area place according to specific rules. In falagard all this becomes generic.

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:56

hi centipede, cool to see you again :)

Making your tool so that it can create .scheme, (simple) .looknfeel and .imagesets in one go wouldn't be that hard.
yep, you just have to considere the imageset part is the beginning of the storie :wink:

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:24

hi all,

I tried differents things yesterday and i think i'll go the same way the CELayoutEditor (wxWidget + openGL).

the good thing is the possibility to compile them in one appli in the future... if it's necessary :)

centipede
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby centipede » Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:40

Ping :wink:

centipede
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby centipede » Mon Mar 06, 2006 07:04

Ping Ping Ping :wink: :wink: :wink:

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Mon Mar 06, 2006 13:57

unfortunatly, my computer just dead last week :cry:
should be fixed this week... i hope :?

centipede
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby centipede » Mon Mar 06, 2006 18:07

A death in the family - that's no laughing matter ...

Return to “Skins and Themes”