*Smacks Head into table* ARRG Whats with all these files!!!!

Help and discussion regarding skinning, themes, and other artistic content.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Tocs1001
Just popping in
Just popping in

*Smacks Head into table* ARRG Whats with all these files!!!!

Postby Tocs1001 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 21:48

HI every1 this is my first post! Im writing a MMOG structured game with C++ using CEGUI, Ogre3D, OpenAL, OPCODE, and my own network library designed specifically for my MMOG needs. Wether or not my game with have a nice server, with lots of people, and its very own fan sites one day or not im still writing because I can write the software!!! so dont tell me I cant do it :evil: !

I need a new compiler and my dad is going to get me .Net's latest version =D, but he cant at the moment because its at the Univercity where he teaches and they are on spring break... So in the mean time ive been assembling my engines, and modeling and texturing some things. I decided i would create the GUI skin and lay it out. But ive run into some problems. I havent used XML before but im an HTML wiz so I'll catch right on. As soon as i get a couple things straight....

1. Whats A .imageset, is this what tells the engine to extract the bits and pieces of the .tga to create how the GUI looks?
2. Whats a .scheme?
3. Whats a .looknfeel, or is this where its defined what to extract from the .tga to make the GUI look right?
4. What is Falgard?(XML format of a .imageset?, . scheme, or . looknfeel??) Whats it do?
5. Too my understanding a widget is a thing like a button? Can I create my own widget for inventories through these XML files.

Ive read next to all the documentation on the Wiki and I still dont get whats going on here!

The inventory thing would be basically a place displaying a sprite of the object with the ability to right click and select some options. The sprite could be changed though the software, and the sprite displayed could have its own unique right click options, with the first option being the default double click action.

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Fri Mar 24, 2006 08:03

hi Tocs1001,

1. Whats A .imageset, is this what tells the engine to extract the bits and pieces of the .tga to create how the GUI looks?
it's what the name say, an xml file describing a set of image from an image file.
when an imageset is loaded, images are available from the... imageset manager.

2. Whats a .scheme?
it's an xml fil describing the binding of widgets defined in a looknfeel file and the base Falagard widget set. once loaded, available from the window manager.

3. Whats a .looknfeel, or is this where its defined what to extract from the .tga to make the GUI look right?
xml file too, defining the visual aspect of widgets declared in the scheme file.

4. What is Falgard?(XML format of a .imageset?, . scheme, or . looknfeel??) Whats it do?
it's the part of the API who make possible to create a completly new set of widget (at visual aspect level) from xml files.

5. Too my understanding a widget is a thing like a button? Can I create my own widget for inventories through these XML files.
in the falagard world, a widget is one of the Falagard Base set (including all classic, like button...).
You can, with a looknfeel, describ a widget and make it the visual aspect you want (by using images defined in some imageset) and finally binding it with one of the a widget from a Falagard Base widget set in the schem file.

hope it help

PS [should be moved in the "Beginners Help", and maybe in the faq, i think]

Tocs1001
Just popping in
Just popping in

Yey for help!

Postby Tocs1001 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 04:54

:D wow what great help you have nice summeries of each file i was kinda overwhelmed with the wiki tutorials and all I was debating putting it in begginners help but i thought it had to do more with skins than just general help. I took a look at the sample sets and i pretty much understand how its going to work. Ive set to work on my set, im also writing a .imageset file creator because im too lazy to find the coordinates by hand. Im doing it in java since it has easy image, mouse listner support. Your version will be alot better but im too impatient im gonna make a crummy tool formyself until your uber one comes out! thanks for the great help!

baxissimo
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby baxissimo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 01:46

martignasse wrote:PS [should be moved in the "Beginners Help", and maybe in the faq, i think]

Slightly edited and WIKIED!

I thought it would be useful to add links to what editors are available and/or in the works on that page too. So if you're involved in, or know something about a CEGUI GUI editor that's currently available or in the works, add your link to the apropriate place.

martignasse
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby martignasse » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58

Slightly edited and WIKIED!
thanks a lot :)

I thought it would be useful to add links to what editors are available and/or in the works on that page too. So if you're involved in, or know something about a CEGUI GUI editor that's currently available or in the works, add your link to the apropriate place
yep, i'll do that. Thanks again

Return to “Skins and Themes”