Wiki Improvements

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Dalfy
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Wiki Improvements

Postby Dalfy » Sat May 13, 2006 08:20

The wiki is a greate tool and we hope it to grow regularly. I am starting this topic in order to allow the communauty of user to propose some enhancement that should occur on the wiki. It concerns missing topics, organization and communication between the development team and all of the user of the library.

So please give us some feedbacks on potential enhancement that can be made on the wiki.

Rackle
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Rackle » Sat May 13, 2006 17:31

More samples would be welcomed, especially additional examples on how to use every widget. I've started the ball rolling with WidgetGalore but going further with it could be beneficial, showing advanced use of these widgets; I only showed the basic usage.

A section of user submitted objects, such as the File Open/SaveAs dialog, Tree Control as well as any other objects/dialogs that could be created.

Maybe a topic explaining how to configure various compilers, something similar to Ogre's Setting Up An Application.

Maybe complete examples for the various environments presented in The Beginner Guide to Getting CEGUI Rendering. However it could be argued that these various rendering environments should be the ones providing this information.

Every tutorial, sample, snippet should have an associated message board topic for discussion. This would make it easier to follow up on the evolution of an item, especially for a newcomer to find existing information on the item, such as more detailed explanations.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Tue May 23, 2006 09:40

Rackle, good thoughts!

I have been giving the wiki a thought or two myself these days, and i was thinking of the following changes:

*The page titles need to be re-organized ("moved" in wiki jargon), so that they can be recognized by group. The "howto" pages already do this by being prefixed with "HOWTO:". We need other conventions like "TUTORIAL:", "TOOL:" and such.

*I think the download page is huge and too difficult to find your way around. IMO we could do with the "current releases" on the main page, and just obsolete the download are altogether. The current releases has space for two releases for the both the library and the editor, so we should be fine there.

*We need a "projects using cegui" page, which is both a "thank you" to our users, and also an "add-ware".

*The SVN & compile steps are actually quite fragmented over several pages. There's the HOWTO page, the Subversion page, and a part for the editor. Maybe see if we can merge it into one (new) page.

*I'd like to see a "Distribution or SVN?" page, which allows helps users in deciding whether to grab a source-package, an SDK, an installer or the plain sources. But that might to nanny-ish. Idea?

When i get more ideas, i'll just edit this post.

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby lindquist » Tue May 23, 2006 17:40

I - quite simply - agree on all your points :)

Dalfy
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Dalfy » Tue May 23, 2006 20:07

We can also add some index pages with dedicated audience,
Artist related topics,
GUI designer topics,
Developer related topics,
etc...

If you think of any other page category ;)

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 18:13

I want to write a (very) little wiki tutorial using my message, about how to create image buttons:
http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2226

But i can't see where i should place it in the wiki :) Should i add a
7. Little misc tutorials
or somewhat to the Tutorials page ? (that's what i'd expect as a CEGUI user)

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Thu Jan 11, 2007 08:43

Hi Pompei2,

i've had a quick look and it's not really clear where it should be put ;-)

You suggestion seems the best options though. To me it sounds like a 'how-to', but that page includes quite different subjects...

So, feel free to add a topic 7. Thanks in advance for your contribution! :-)

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”