OSX Development

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Exsortis
CEGUI Team (Retired)

OSX Development

Postby Exsortis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 15:10

Hey all,

First, I apologize for my recent disappearance and the languishing of the OS X project for CEGUI.

I've resumed the Xcode project, and wanted to provide an update to the Mac developers on what is coming:

1. The project is being updated to include the new image codecs and XML parsers.
2. The framework will now be self-contained, i.e., the parsers and supporting bundles/libraries will be contained inside the CEGUI.framework.
3. All binaries will be compiled as Universal binaries. On this front, I'm running into issues trying to link against libjpeg and libpng (from fink) in SILLY when building as a Universal binary, so I'm working on resolving that issue.
4. Updating SILLY to include an Xcode project.

-E

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby lindquist » Fri Aug 04, 2006 15:22

Welcome back Exsortis :)
And great news

Dalfy
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Dalfy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 08:23

If you have any problem with SILLY contact me :p

Exsortis
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Exsortis » Sat Aug 05, 2006 15:42

Dalfy wrote:If you have any problem with SILLY contact me :p

So far, it's been pretty straightforward. The issue at hand is that fink doesn't build Universal binaries, and googling has shown me that they don't intend to (with good reason). So, it appears my alternatives are:

1. Leave the SILLY Xcode project as platform-specific (so it will build against the fink libs), but I don't know the repercussions of building a Universal version of CEGUI against a platform-specific framework;
2. Build custom Universal binary versions of jpeg and png so that I can make SILLY a Universal binary.

I'm going to see which is easiest from a source-build perspective (so that users aren't tortured ;) and go with that.

-E

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Aug 05, 2006 21:20

Sounds good :)

And welcome back to active duty :P

Exsortis
CEGUI Team (Retired)

OSX update

Postby Exsortis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 03:37

Here's an update on my progress of updating the OS X build. I want to make sure it's visible, since the stuff I'm working on isn't being committed to SVN.

1. I have the SILLY.framework built as a universal binary, which required building universal binary frameworks of zlib, png, and jpeg.

2. I'm trying to build the image codecs, but they require CEGUI Base, which apparently needs Freetype 2.2 and an external PCRE. I tried getting Freetype to build as a universal, but it was being stubborn; however, the framework in the Ogre deps seems to work fine for this purpose. I need to build a universal binary version of PCRE, since the one provided by Fink is native arch only (i386 on mine, so it causes the PPC build to fail).

3. I have universal binary framework of Lua for the Lua Script Module.

4. The following dependencies still need to be built as univeral binaries:

* PCRE (for CEGUIBase)
* Expat (for Expat XML parser)
* LibXML (for LibXML parser)
* FreeImage (for FreeImage codec)
* DevIL (for DevIL codec)
* Corona (for Corona codec)

5. My last download of Irrlicht was missing some essentials, so I have to resolve that before being able to build the Irrlicht renderer.

It's a pain sometimes, but it's coming along. :)

-E

Dalfy
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Dalfy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 08:37

I think you could get ride of Corona. The corona lib is not working correclty with the files of the cegui Samples that's why we started SILLY. Corona might simply get removed from CEGUI later.

Exsortis
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Exsortis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 13:38

Excellent, Smithers! *taps fingers together* One less thing to worry about. ;)

-E

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Sep 02, 2006 15:09

Glad to see progress continues Monty :)

CE

Exsortis
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Exsortis » Wed Sep 13, 2006 20:53

CrazyEddie wrote:Glad to see progress continues Monty :)

CE

That's MISTER Burns! ;)

-E

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 17:46

My apologies, Mr Burns.... Sir. :D

CE.

Darkness
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Darkness » Sat Dec 23, 2006 17:59

Any new information on the Mac OSX version of CEGUI? I'm using Ogre and want to have the PC and Mac versions the same in terms of functionality. Of course, Ogre hasn't updated to 0.5.0 yet, so I'm still at 0.4.1.

-Darkness

Exsortis
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Exsortis » Tue Dec 26, 2006 15:56

I checked in some updates to SVN recently that included support for 3 of the 4 XML parsers, some other misc. project fixes, and has a number of the samples building and running.

I need to post a zip file of the dependency frameworks that it needs, though. That will be coming soon.

-E

JustinWalsh
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby JustinWalsh » Wed Jan 03, 2007 16:17

Hello,

So I am currently building the dependencies for Ogre, and it is time to update CEGUI to 0.5. Now I ran into an issue with PCRE, and was wondering if anyone knows what I may need to do to fix it...

Code: Select all

02/01/2007 10:54:55 (Error)   Exception: The Editbox named 'OgreGuiDemo/TabCtrl/Page2/ObjectTypeList__auto_editbox__' had the following bad validation expression set: '.*'.  Additional Information: this version of PCRE is not compiled with PCRE_UTF8 support

I am builing PCRE from source as a universal binary and as a static lib. I run a ./configure --enable-utf8 before building, am I missing something else?

Also i am using the tinyXML module, and the source code from the website, not source control.

Also, as for some of the other dependencies, In Ogre Eihort I have updated freetype, and freeimage to be universal static libs. I have found this easier to manage when building a self contained framework that is able to be embedded into the application with the @executable_path method.

Thanks for the Mac support, we are few and far between it seems ;)

JustinWalsh
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby JustinWalsh » Sat Jan 06, 2007 09:22

Well apparently running the configure script in my PCRE Xcode project was having no effect. So the solution is to find the Preprocessor Macros section in the build settings and add "SUPPORT_UTF8 SUPPORT_UCP". Fixed it right up.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”