Snapshot1 release

Forum for support and development discussion regarding the python based unified editor tool for CEGUI, known as CEED.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Snapshot1 release

Postby Kulik » Sun May 01, 2011 14:22

Ok, I promised to release something at the end of April so there it is :-)

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_MtZ04bjOI

The files:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crayzed ... snapshot1/

Features of this release:
- project management
- multi-tab, multi-file editing with separate undo stack for each file
- embedded CEGUI instance that is kept in sync with project settings

- imageset editing (more or less finished)
- everything is undoable/redoable with undo history
- image positions, sizes and offsets supported
- cycle through overlapping images
- XML editing

- preliminary layout editing (pre-alpha quality)
- SAVING doesn't work, so all layout editing is useless, it's basically just a tech demo for now
- everything is undoable/redoable with undo history
- opening CEGUI 0.8 layout files
- XML editing
- changing properties
- moving, resizing
- live preview

I probably forgot something but hopefully this got you at least a bit excited :-)

How to get this to work?
On Windows this is very simple, just download the win32 zip package, extract and run CEED.exe.
On Linux you have to download the source package, get dependencies separately and run "python entry.py" (I highly recommend reading How to get CEED from Mercurial running)

If you wish to contribute, please read How to get CEED from Mercurial running. It works for both Linux and Windows (it should work for MacOSX but I can't try that out)

Known problems of this release
1) When you open a project and close it you can't open another project, CEGUI doesn't clean after the previous project fully, as a workaround close CEED and start it again
- this is obviously annoying and will get fixed
2) the splashscreen disappears when you click it or move mouse over it, it doesn't react to mouse if it isn't over it
- this is obviously annoying and will get fixed
3) tablet mice and pens tend to have problems on both Windows and Linux (clicks not getting registered, etc...), this is a problem that started in Qt 4.6 and happens with all Qt apps, hiponboy reported this on Windows with a Wacom Bamboo tablet
4) segfault inside python when shutting down, this seems to only happen on Windows and seems to be PySide race condition issue, hopefully will be fixed in future versions, it's not that hard to trigger but doesn't happen all the time

I put a lot of work into this and would appreciate feedback! I am also desperately looking for contributors, this is a very ambitious project and requires a lot of work, if you know Python and are interested in this, please send me a message.

(I will be working on a GSoC project over the summer so I won't have much spare time but I hope to integrate external changes over the weekends and maybe hack a thing or two there and there)

chaosavy
Just popping in
Just popping in

Re: Snapshot1 release

Postby chaosavy » Mon May 02, 2011 20:26

First off: looks awesome! So much promise and hope, jumping to XML and WYSIWYG is a great idea, will save me a lot of time.

2nd off, I get errors:
When I try to make a new file after having made a new project:

Where you see these: "YOUR NAME IS HERE MP" it shows your name

Code: Select all

Exception message: CEGUI::InvalidRequestException in file ..\..\..\cegui\src\CEGUIDefaultResourceProvider.cpp(113) : DefaultResourceProvider::load: C:\SDEV\CEED\example_data\Projects\layouts/file.layout does not exist

Traceback:
  File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\mainwindow.py", line 395, in slot_newFileDialog

File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\mainwindow.py", line 260, in openEditorTab

File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\mainwindow.py", line 247, in createEditorForFile

File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\layouteditor\__init__.py", line 63, in initialise

When I open the example project:

Exception message: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'type'

Traceback:
  File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\cegui\__init__.py", line 121, in drawBackground

followed by:

Exception message: GLError(
   err = 1280,
   baseOperation = glClearColor,
   cArguments = (0, 0, 0, 1)
)

Traceback:
  File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\cegui\__init__.py", line 134, in drawBackground

File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\OpenGL\error.py", line 208, in glCheckError

When I try to open a layout:

Exception message: CEGUI::InvalidRequestException in file ..\..\..\cegui\src\CEGUIGUILayout_xmlHandler.cpp(212) : GUILayout_xmlHandler::startElement - layout loading has been aborted since no WindowFactory is available for 'TaharezLook/LargeVerticalScrollbar' objects.

Traceback:
  File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\mainwindow.py", line 398, in slot_openFile

File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\mainwindow.py", line 260, in openEditorTab

File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\mainwindow.py", line 247, in createEditorForFile

File "C:\Users\"YOUR NAME IS HERE MP"\Devel\CEED\layouteditor\__init__.py", line 63, in initialise

The app doesn't seem to function due to these errors, although it doesn't immediatly crash.
Check out my space sim http://www.arrmaytey.com

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Mon May 02, 2011 20:54

Hehe, you are entering a world of hurt by trying layout editing in this release. As stated above and on the splashscreen, only imageset editing is actually usable, layout editing is just preliminary and really just a tech demo of how I want things done in the future.

I will try to reproduce these exceptions anyways and post back.

pizzazhang
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby pizzazhang » Tue May 03, 2011 02:33

awesome! really looking forward to the complete version! cheers for the milestone! :D

chaosavy
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby chaosavy » Tue May 03, 2011 13:22

I see it now!

sorry, I'll be patient
Check out my space sim http://www.arrmaytey.com

OceanMachine
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby OceanMachine » Wed May 04, 2011 11:34

Wow, looks awesome, and seems to have great features for editing imagesets! That makes it so much easier to visualise what things will end up looking like. Will be keeping an eye on this :)

Mikademus
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Mikademus » Thu May 05, 2011 14:38

Good. This is just what CEGUI needs! With a good tool skins can more easily be made and we can finally access and use the power that CEGUI contains. Very much appreciated, and eagerly looking forward to new releases!

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Thu May 05, 2011 15:27

I am glad that you like it. Spread the word and get me some contributors :D

Return to “Official Unified CEGUI Editor Tool (CEED)”